AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cash rents..
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Posted 7/26/2014 05:26 (#3986273)
Subject: Cash rents..

Eastern, IN
I have 3 multi-year contracts that expire in 2014 (rented land). FWIW every landlord wanted more money. in years past, I handed them (the landlords) an extra check over and above the contract rates as a profit share not listed in the contract, handed them the receipts for land improvements that we made to their farms (at no charge to them) and preached to them that the good times would end and we would need to take rents down when things crash. Well, now the crunch is on and THEY DONT WANT TO UNDERSTAND, 'less money'.

So I have 2 under new contracts and I have told 1 landlord (300 acres) this is my last year on his farm. I don't know if my BIL will take it over or not. Regardless, it is time to part with land that doesn't have a future for me.

The only reason why I am posting this is to get farmers thinking about seeing their landlords now and start educating them for what might be ahead. I thought I was doing a good job keeping them informed but I was very wrong. This isn't going to be a 1 time visit to get rents down. This is going to be a process and will take some work to keep the good farms.

This is 100% business. I could care less how many acres I control. My focus is on NET and about healthy business relationships.

Edited by 2388 7/26/2014 05:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)