AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

FYI from Wi corn growers president!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

OldMcdonald
Posted 7/24/2014 22:19 (#3984512 - in reply to #3984449)
Subject: RE: well that was a hilarious post

Napanee, Ontario
BSE is a sore spot... it was hard barely surviving in this industry because of it. Any money that we got doesn't even come close to comparing with the magnitude of impact it had on producers, so obviously when you made that remark i wasn't going to let it go over lightly.

As for the oil industry... i'm sure you are not trying to tell me that they are having a tough time. Yes, its a commodity, but also one that is very tightly held among a much smaller base of suppliers, with incredibly high barriers of entry to get into. Farming, while it has been heading that way with land prices, livestock prices, ect ect... is still very widely held, and MUCH narrower margins. It is still predominately represented by the little guy.... oil, not so much, and they have the wider margins to prove it. Just look at the list of the top 20-30 fortune 500 companies and look what stands out.

Less competitors means less price competition - see the potash cartel (up until recently) where they actively fixed the price for years with CAMPOTEX.

My point in all of this, which I was hoping was implied, but maybe wasn't, was that if there is to be government funding support handed out, it should be directed at small enterprise and focused at fostering competition, not eliminating it... which is exactly what happens when you give money to the oil industry. They are already rich and an established industry. Giving them money just means more bid into the lobby campaigns and politicians pockets for more regulations and even higher barriers to entry... So if you are going to give money to them, fine..... but there had better be a long line-up of more deserving recipients ahead of them. Except they don't want that when one of those recipients happens to bee their competition. Surprise surprise.

Anyways LOL, all that aside, and on that friendlier note, what sort of ag was he into? Beef guy?

EDIT: Perhaps wondering if we know him from sales - take our stuff to cookstown mostly, Brussles a cpl times..

Edited by OldMcdonald 7/24/2014 22:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)