AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farming the Nebraska sandhills
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

berggrenfarms
Posted 7/24/2014 10:19 (#3983591 - in reply to #3983187)
Subject: RE: Farming the Nebraska sandhills

Nebraska, The land of corn and cattle

NE Ridger pretty much hit it on the head, the closest way to describe what its like is imagine trying to farm in your kids sand box, or on a beach, thats what the sand is like. No matter how much water and fertilizer you pump on it, it couldnt grow a crop. You cant level it, once you destroy the root system of the grass it will blow and theres very little you can do to stop it from blowing once it starts. Its been tried before and it ends up in disaster. My Dad tells a story about a guy he knew who lived in an area where they put up pivots and tried to farm it, and when they started abandoning the wells and taking out the pivots, Dad asked how long it would take before the grass would be good again, he never blinked and said it would be at least 100 years. He said if they left the pivots it couldve been done in 20, but the grass grows up, the wind blows and cuts it back off again. Its an extremely fragile ecosystem.

Ive said it for a while, and I know some people just wont understand but there are some parts of this world that SHOULDNT be farmed, not that it CANT but SHOULDNT.

We live about 25 miles south of what I consider the begining of the Sandhills, just off highway 281. I invite anyone who would like to see what the Sandhills are like to come and visit.  Its very beautiful country, in the spring when the grass is green.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)