AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn silage or distillers and corn stalks?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Hkfarms
Posted 7/23/2014 20:59 (#3982866)
Subject: Corn silage or distillers and corn stalks?

South West Kansas
I need some opinions on what type of feed I should put up this fall for back grounding calves. Right now I use ground corn or milo stalks, WDG, and cracked corn with protein and rumensin. Steers gain about 2.25 a day. My ration contains about 40 percent ground stalks on an as fed basis. The thing I don't like about this ration is the cattle sort like crazy and leave the big stems and junk. I got to thinking today that with where the corn price is that maybe I should put up corn silage. I have to hire my stalks swathed/raked and baled anyways. Would it make sense to put that money towards hiring a custom chopper? I would have much higher quality forage wouldn't i? If I added some DDG to the silage to up my protein I think I could eliminate the cracked corn altogether and have a much more palatable ration?.. And maybe add some still add a lil stalk hay? Like 5 10 percent? The corn I want to chop should do 200 and is about a 2.5 mile haul . 10 times the price a corn a fair value for silage? Does that include chopping hauling bagging? I'm just trying to compare the cost of the two rations. Ha I just really have no idea about corn silage? Any help from u pros would be great.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)