AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hypothetical Harvesting?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

forget
Posted 7/23/2014 23:04 (#3983144 - in reply to #3982889)
Subject: RE: Hypothetical Harvesting?

eastern sd
I have been thinking about doing this for a while. If you could get an older combine bought cheap and have one other guy running a truck or a gravity wagon or something every acre you go over is an acre you don't have to pay them to do. I don't have the numbers I once had but we harvest a similar amount of grain as you and we don't have a combine I think I figured if I could get an older combine and a corn head (I'm just worried about corn) and get it across 300 acres each year that winds up saving me about 9000 (I think our guys charge 30/acre) every year in custom combining expenses and after 4 years a 30,000 machine pays for itself plus you and one other guys labor to operate if you can keep it running for 4 years. This also means that you can start whenever you want no waiting for them to get there and when their broke down you can keep going and at least be getting something done. Also it will give them an incentive to kick it into gear if they know they are loosing acres whenever their late or not operating. This also assumes that somebody with minimal combine experience could keep an older one running which may be a stretch but I like to learn and am good with a wrench.

Edit: we don't harvest as much as you more like one third I read that wrong initially

Edited by forget 7/23/2014 23:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)