AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

follow up on pedv, anyone else have any experience?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

hillskinefarms
Posted 7/23/2014 09:45 (#3981963)
Subject: follow up on pedv, anyone else have any experience?

Northern New York
In response to Chads question on pedv I thought I would share my experience and hope maybe someone else could share some insight.
We broke with pedv on March 14 with 9 sows in the farrowing barn with litters all 7 days old or younger. Within 4 days all piglets were dead or euthanized. Most of the sows in the gest. barn ( same location) showed symptoms as well( scouring and off feed). Within several weeks all symptoms were past.
Farrowed 3 more sows aprox. 1 month later and they all did fine.

Now the catch. Just farrowed 5 sows, all second parity, who have had smaller litters than their first round of farrowing( just weaned and averaged 6 per litter- these are Berks as well). Just checked records and these sows were bred 2 weeks before pedv broke.
Moved 5 more sows into farrowing barn and first one farrowed last night, 4 pigs born. She was bred right in the middle of the outbreak.
Did the stress of pedv affect my litter size? Any other sow guys on here have similar experiences?
I was surprised my 2nd parity litter size is down from 1st parity, only thing I can see that might have affected it is pedv, or am I way of base? Would pedv just after or during breeding do this?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)