AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wondering about a dog for cattle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 7/23/2014 11:43 (#3982112 - in reply to #3981406)
Subject: RE: Wondering about a dog for cattle

south east Indiana
I will try to keep this short but I could write a book on this subject.

Working dogs vary as to How they work and what kind of work they are best suited for. Some of this has to do with breed some is an individual thing. Each dog is different and each handler is different. If you make a good team it is poetry in motion and there isn't anything with stock you and the dog cant do. It doesn't start that way mind you. It is WORK to build that relationship, get that communication right and know enough about livestock and dogs to make it work.

Training and what is "trained" varies a ton. My standards for a trained - fully trained dog are high - they learn things by experience. I do not consider a dog under 4 fully trained in general. Started dogs are usually younger and less $$. You can spend 1,000 to 5,000 on a dog with training.

It is the Relationship you have with your dog that will give it the courage to stand between you and a momma cow that wants to take you. It is the Talent bred into the dog coming out all wet and slimy that comes from generations of dog before it that enable it to work well or not so well.

There are Sickem dogs - that harass the stock and get lucky when they go the right direction and there are quiet controlled, confident dogs that are all business.

Even a great dog can be worked the wrong way and have the wrong handler and not get the job done. Hand that dog to someone else it works like a dream

What I want and need a dog to do isn't necessarily what you need and want a dog to do.
There are several good handlers in MO, I would say take the time to talk to them and watch their dogs work and then decide if you want a dog. Dont expect the dog to do it on his own, stock work is a team effort. He will give you 150% if you give him 100%.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)