AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Reasons to use metric
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Rusty6
Posted 7/22/2014 13:14 (#3980467 - in reply to #3980456)
Subject: RE: Reasons to use metric

S.E. Sask.

6V53N - 7/22/2014 11:03 Negative BigNorsk. I don't think I know of anyone in Canada who has metric measuring cups. I do some cooking myself and have never seen a recipe asking for milliliters of flour. Being that Canada is a metric country, we sure did a poor job of it. Now I'm not sure about down east, but we use acres, miles, feet, cups, teaspoons, inches, etc. Sure the signs say KM/H, but I just updated my passport last week and they asked my weight in either metric or imperial, along with my height. I am not trying to argue which is better, I just don't think Canada should stand on a soapbox and talk about how metric we are here!

My biggest complaint is that 40 years ago we had a perfectly workable system of measures that everybody understood. I don't think anybody was complaining, "gee , we need a better way to measure everything". The cost of the change over to metric was big but I wonder if the payback has been anything at all?
Now I am going out to cut a few acres of hay  in the hundred acre woods. I neither know or care how many hectares it might be.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)