AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cover crop question...educate me,.. dont bash..educate
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

somewhereinkansas
Posted 6/25/2014 21:51 (#3937693 - in reply to #3937289)
Subject: RE: cover crop question...educate me,.. dont bash..educate

north central Kansas
the dry months of july and august might not be the best time to get a cover crop going then hope to plant wheat again in september. are the beans or corn you grow after wheat a double crop? If not that would be a good stretch to get a cover crop in that has time to get some good growth. After the beans or corn you might be able to get something in the ground to provide some ground cover that would help prevent weeds in the next year's milo. Milo's planted late enough you might even be able to get something planted in the spring like oats to provide cover for the milo.

as far as moisture, if it doesn't rain, you don't have moisture anyway. if it does, it helps it infiltrate instead of running off and keeps it from evaporating once it's in the ground. If you get a rain soon enough after wheat harvest you can spray out one flush of volunteer before planting the cover crop. If it doesn't rain shortly after harvest I go ahead and plant my cover with the first moisture and figure the wheat will just be part of the mixture. There isn't a good way to kill weeds in a cover crop if it doesn't come up thick enough or soon enough to choke them out. I like to have a couple species in there that grow quickly for that reason. I have mowed a field that I had heavy pigweed pressure in and wicked a field I had lots of shattercane come up in. I hate pigweed and cane.

those are my best suggestions. good luck.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)