AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

71 4020 ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Fred
Posted 6/24/2014 14:17 (#3935270)
Subject: 71 4020 ?

south east SD
Dad bought a 1971 4020 diesel new. Having some battery trouble, I think one has shorted out. Tried to charge the tractor and battery charger went right to boost on its own and got hot! Unhooked both batteries and tried to charge them one at a time, one charged and the other made funny sounds so I quit. Replacing both battery boxes and batteries. Got to thinking about all the talk on this site about 12 volt batteries vs 6 volt batteries? My 4020 is a 12 volt system on the tractor with 2, 6 volt batteries hooked together to make 12 volt system. Would something be better? One 12 volt battery, 2 12 volt batteries hooked parallel? I do know that the ground on my setup is bolted to the frame under the platform and can/does cause problems and needs cleaning to get a good ground. Local guy says a 6 volt has better cranking power?
Another question is, is there a way to test battery cables. Almost sure 43 years old tractor has 43 year old cables?
Yes I'm keeping the tractor and will never sell. Has a loader that does very little now, does odd jobs and runs auger in the fall to fill bins. TIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)