AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starting D4E after sitting 8 yrs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 6/25/2014 05:04 (#3936335 - in reply to #3936192)
Subject: RE: Starting D4E after sitting 8 yrs

Faunsdale, AL
I think you have what is called a sleeve metering pump. Not important to what you need, but anyway............I didn't realize any of the "newer" pumps had a removable cover like the old ones from the 30's, 40's and 50's did. Last one I dealt with, the only access to the rack was through the small cover for the rack setting gauge on the front or to remove the governor on the back end.

Open it up and look in there. If the rack is free, when you move the throttle, it will slide back and forth freely. you can also move it manually with a screwdriver etc. Or if it's really frozen, take the little cover off the front and spray in there with penetrating oil, tap with punch etc.

Most common thing to stick is actually a pump plunger. so before you get too rough with the rack, make sure that each pump lifter goes up and comes back down as you crank the engine over. The stuck ones go up and the spring is not strong enough to push them back down. If they stick up, they generally won't twist either, so they lock the rack .

I'm not sure the sleeve metering pump works exactly like that, but make sure everything in there moves like it should. Spray with WD40 or similar and gently move things around until it all works smoothly.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)