AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

driving a chassis cab
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

GM Guy
Posted 6/24/2014 12:18 (#3935087 - in reply to #3934993)
Subject: RE: driving a chassis cab

NW KS/ SC ID
here is what you need:

(2) chunks of 2x4 long enough to go to the outer edge of duals

2-4 truck mudflaps. cheap rubber ones. if a SRW, cut two in half to make 4, if SRW use 4 full width.

2 ratchet straps, 10 ft might do, but I used the 15 footers from the 4 pack for 7.99 from Harbor freight

some lag screws and fender washers.

if you have a magnetic light set, take it. if you dont have one and dont think you will need one, go to a truck shop and get a Grote or comparable tail light set. should be around 20 bucks, comes with lights, wiring pigtails, light mounting grommets, and a steel mounting bracket. (the classy alternative :) )

screw the mudflaps to the 2x4s, put a set in front and in back. the front ones may need to be cut short, as the wind will push them into the tires.

using the ratchet straps, go over the 2x4, and under the frame, looping the hook back to the ratchet, and tighten, it will hold the 2x4 to the frame without drilling.

wire up a trailer connector, and wire up the tail lights to a trailer plug and plug it in, or plug in the magnetic tow lights, and put the taillights on the end of the frame, and bundle and zip tie the wires to keep them from dragging. most trucks seem to have a hole on the end of the frame, I put the Grote light bracket on top of the frame, and used (1) 1/4 inch bolt per side with some fender washers, and went through 1 of the holes on the bracket and tightened it to the frame.

you can mount your license plate to the rear 2x4.

should be pretty legal and should get you home. I ran a setup like this pulling my gooseneck around for over a year, no issues other than the ghetto appearance. :)

Edited by GM Guy 6/24/2014 12:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)