AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DJI Phantom Drone/UAV
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

A1Steeke
Posted 5/15/2014 10:44 (#3871577)
Subject: DJI Phantom Drone/UAV

perham, MN

Do any of you guys have experience with the new DJI Phantom Vision2+? Or any of the Phantoms for that matter? I think the idea is really cool and I'm looking into buying one but do you think there worth the $1200??

I really like the video and picture functions of the GoPro on it, but I would also really like the ability to take NIR and NDVI images, but drones with that capability are 5-6X as much money. I was thinking about getting this one for less money and scouting fields and then using satelite imagery through Satshots or somebody to get my NIR and NDVI images. Seems like the ROI would pay back way faster going that route.

Thoughts?? 

Edited by A1Steeke 5/15/2014 10:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page
AGB
Posted 5/15/2014 13:29 (#3871815 - in reply to #3871577)
Subject: RE: DJI Phantom Drone/UAV

Mid-Michigan
Im not sure if it was Machinery or Crop talk but a guy posted a neat video of him planting just the other day. Crystal clear.
techsavvy
Posted 5/15/2014 17:45 (#3872102 - in reply to #3871577)

Honestly you wouldnt have to spend much more than $1200 and get much more than the dji can offer. Having the ability to fly on autopilot also which is quite expensive with DJI. The APM platform is much more versatile and can also do survey grids and directly control cameras.
A1Steeke
Posted 5/15/2014 17:57 (#3872124 - in reply to #3872102)

perham, MN
I really hope that something comes out for the GoPro where you can capture NIR and NDVI images because I like the fact that you can take video and do some real time scouting with the DJI.

On the other hand a guy almost needs a drone that is pre programmed with a capabile camera that can take gps stamped pictures for use in mapping.
techsavvy
Posted 5/15/2014 18:01 (#3872130 - in reply to #3872124)

All that can be done now with the gopro. Check out http://www.back-bone.ca/ and with the APM mission planner you can have it take the pictures and stitch them together in one high resolution picture with a free utility.
A1Steeke
Posted 5/16/2014 07:22 (#3873117 - in reply to #3872130)

perham, MN
I was looking at the APM Platform Adrucopter and it looks like a great concept. Looks like it does everything just the same as the DJI as far as flight functionality. I guess the biggest selling point for me on the DJI is being able to see exactly what the GoPro sees in real time! That way you can grab the best shots; I was looking for anything that would tell me this APM also does that but I haven't found anything yet.

Edited by A1Steeke 5/16/2014 07:39
techsavvy
Posted 5/16/2014 07:28 (#3873131 - in reply to #3873117)

No the Phantom can not use mission planner it is just limited to return to home no autopilot in the naza. DJI does have autopilot option but it gets much more expensive you would have to change the whole controller out and rewire it for an APM and at that point you are better off not buying it and buying a drone/uav that is already setup with the APM. I have over two years experience with them and build and sell them here locally in Louisiana.
jlcprec
Posted 5/15/2014 21:32 (#3872617 - in reply to #3871577)

Bellevue, Iowa
I think I received an email for Tiger Direct yesterday listing one of those for about $600. Don't pay $1200.
JChurch
Posted 5/16/2014 07:57 (#3873222 - in reply to #3872617)

East Central IL
I just sent my Phantom back to get the Ag Scout Pro update done to it. There is a good youtube video on their website showing how this works. Looks pretty cool.

http://aerialmediapros.com/store/home/568-ag-pro-scout-h3-3d-phanto...
techsavvy
Posted 5/16/2014 08:36 (#3873296 - in reply to #3873222)

Thats a hefty upgrade price for only 16 waypoints and the range of bluetooth for the wireless link isnt that great but thats personal opinion. I think people need to be properly informed about these things now before they jump into it because you may not get what you are looking for.
A1Steeke
Posted 5/16/2014 08:48 (#3873320 - in reply to #3873296)

perham, MN
TechSavvy, you said you sell the APM Platform drones?

I'm looking for a drone that I can take scouting to use for random pictures and videos.

I'm also looking for a drone that will autopilot itself and take strategic pictures that can be stitched together that will make a geo-referenced image. Hopefully NIR and NDVI.

I'd don't need to have all this at one time, but I would like to start out with a drone that I can easily scout fields with and that has the ability, (like the DJI with your android phone) to show me what the camera is seeing in real time so I can hone in on certain problem areas while I'm flying instead of figuring them out when I download the video to my computer. Also it would be nice to be able to take pictures with the exact angles and view that you want when your seeing what it sees.

What would you suggest be a great drone platform for me?

Appreciate any opinions you have!

**And that $1,200 is the high end of my budget.
techsavvy
Posted 5/16/2014 08:57 (#3873331 - in reply to #3873320)

Being that you are so far away I would suggest you check out 3d robotics if you already have a gopro you are looking at $985 and it will blow away what the phantom can do. That does include the 915mhz telemtry that you can connect to a pc or android phone or tablet for real time flight data and autopilot setup.
They also offer great support for their products. https://store.3drobotics.com/products/IRIS
A1Steeke
Posted 5/16/2014 11:54 (#3873571 - in reply to #3873331)

perham, MN
That's a good price for the capabilities! Could you possibly put a different camera onto the unit for NDVI and NIR?? If possible, I'd rather just use the GoPro for scouting and video purposes and then use a point and shoot camera for the other stuff.
techsavvy
Posted 5/16/2014 13:15 (#3873691 - in reply to #3873571)

The gimbal that comes with this setup is not used for anything other than the gopro but you could eventually have two of them one modified for ndvi. There are so much more uses than just what you are thinking though. The biggest sale down this way is for checking irrigation and its has been proving its worth quite well on that point alone. You just have to use your imagination and the sky is the limit.
midwest
Posted 5/16/2014 21:10 (#3874303 - in reply to #3873691)

Is the 10 to 15 minute flying time long enough? I've heard talk some newer models are looking at 20 to 30 minutes.
techsavvy
Posted 5/16/2014 21:13 (#3874311 - in reply to #3874303)

Depends the ones I build run about 18 minutes on the low end models and 25 on the higher end that carry bigger cameras
A1Steeke
Posted 5/19/2014 07:25 (#3877808 - in reply to #3874311)

perham, MN
Techsavvy, how would this one compare to the IRIS setup you service and sell?

http://www.helipal.com/dji-f450-w-naza-v2-and-h3-2d-gimbal-rtf.html

Same price range and from what I read it sounds pretty similar to the IRIS. I don't know, maybe the autopilot software isn't quite as robust, but I believe this is the UAV that Chad Colby of Cross Implement uses.
techsavvy
Posted 5/19/2014 07:32 (#3877827 - in reply to #3877808)

No that uses the naza controller you would be headed back in the Phantom direction.
A1Steeke
Posted 5/19/2014 07:56 (#3877880 - in reply to #3877827)

perham, MN
So you are not a fan of the NAZA controller? Or what exactly do you mean?
A-gate
Posted 5/19/2014 07:27 (#3877818 - in reply to #3874311)

SW Indiana

techsavvy, send me an email.  I would like to chat with you about the ones you are building.  I am trying to build an X8 right now from a 3DR kit and have a few questions on gimbals and flight times.

A-gate
Posted 5/27/2014 07:13 (#3888863 - in reply to #3874311)

SW Indiana

Are the 18 to 25 minute flight times with the stock Iris platform with camera and gimbal?  Which battery(s) are you using to accomplish these flight times?  

flwater
Posted 6/6/2014 12:42 (#3905060 - in reply to #3873691)

How are people using drones to check irrigation systems? Is it mainly flying down the system as a general inspection or something more specific?
satman
Posted 5/16/2014 12:08 (#3873591 - in reply to #3871577)

Langdon, ND
I think the idea of using a UAV to take pictures of areas you find through a satellite image is going to be the most efficient use of your time. If you get into mounting a NDVI/NIR camera on a UAV and then take hundreds of pics you need to stitch together you might go against your original scouting efforts with making quick informed decisions. I personally think getting super high resolution of NIR/NDVI from a drone is a waste of time at the moment since to make a decision at such a small point, none the less having equipment apply something to such a small area to change or improve a situation is really not possible or very hard to accomplish. Use satellite imagery as a base for what changes are or have happened in the field and take a detailed close up pic/video of those concerning areas with the UAV, can't loose in that situation IMO.
A1Steeke
Posted 5/16/2014 12:26 (#3873622 - in reply to #3873591)

perham, MN
I hear what your saying satman. From a price standpoint, I was thinking the same thing. Keep it simple and just fly this thing around fields to find areas of interest or moreso, which fields in general need the most attention. Then go through a satelite imagery provider to get the NDVI and NIR images. A lot less time and effort going into each field and for the cost of a satelite image I think it would take awhile for a UAV to pay for itself.
techsavvy
Posted 5/16/2014 13:20 (#3873701 - in reply to #3873591)

Satman you have a point but the software and abilities to do the high resolution surveys is here now. Some people are charging quite a bit of money for their custom software but the same thing can be accomplished with free software. What are the current prices for satellite imagery and what happens when you need the info on a day that it has been overcast for a week or so at a time?
A1Steeke
Posted 5/16/2014 13:50 (#3873737 - in reply to #3873701)

perham, MN
I believe Satshot had quoted me around $0.50 per acre and I cant remember if there was an annual fee. Your right though, they take an image every couple of weeks so it isn't in an instant thats for sure.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)