AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

IH 86 series steering
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tr70
Posted 4/28/2014 11:11 (#3841213)
Subject: IH 86 series steering

I use my 1586 on the planter with the old ontrac steering unit. This year I'm planting at slower speeds and the ground is really soft. My autosteer kicks out once every 5-6 rounds because of "motor overload" - Its always when you're looking back at the planter and next to the road, on contour. If I gear down and throttle up it really helps, just hate having her scream at 2000+ rpms when 1500 is an easy pull. Curious as to if theres a way to make them steer easier.

Background on the tractor -- put new 12 gpm mcv pump in couple years ago -- that seemed to help a little. I have the big wide front tires on the front. I put in new "bearings" in the spindles last year. Its the open center system.

Reason I ask is that I have a friend with a 1486 (his is the late model closed system) and his turns with one finger. Hes also got a narrower front tire- maybe 8 in wide -- mines closer to a foot wide -- his has loader, mine has rock box. Someone mentioned a steering relief valve -- wondering if that'd help. The things you think of on a rainy day. I'll change the filter too while I'm at it -- make sure those brakes arent fouling the system up.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)