AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Repair costs. Personal pickup vs. commercial truck?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 4/24/2014 22:04 (#3834899)
Subject: Repair costs. Personal pickup vs. commercial truck?

My 2008 dodge 2500 with the 6.7 diesel is just about to find a new owner. While under warranty, all was fine. Any repairs and recalls wer no charge to me. That's a good thing. Now,...........well guess what?, it's off warranty.  Within a few months the egr breaks. $995 to replace. Yesturday the water pump goes out. This pu only has 24,000 original miles on it. I don't drive in de-icer and the thing is mint. $667 to replace.

So I decided to call around and price what this repair would cost for a commercial truck with expensive engines. To replace a water pump on a 3406E, labor quoted as 400-450 plus whatever level of pump I wanted. New, reman, import etc. Asked about a few others, and was quite surprised to hear how close they were compared to the small 6.7.

So then I asked about the dpf in the dodge. $2800 to replace when it plugs, and it will.  (not interested in the delete stuff)

So now I'm thinking, why not just buy a good solid used commercial truck and retune the ecm for empty travel and remove the sleeper, single the rear, and have some fun?I already know insurance is no more than the pickup as I have my FLD rv insured full coverage

So what are some of your repairs costs for your pickups vs. your trucks?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)