AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Glyphosate and germination
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 4/24/2014 07:45 (#3833418 - in reply to #3833189)
Subject: RE: Glyphosate and germination

Yes, I see this very same issue "here". But even disturbance tines have their limits when managing glyphosate's effect with regards to translocation.

IMO, it depends on the weed type, the weed concentration, and the weed's stages of growth when they are sprayed, as to how long it takes for the chemical to break down to a level that it will not harm the new crop seedlings. IMO.

Do you notice heavier losses when planting into higher rhizome type weeds? How about higher concentrations of very fine root weeds? I'm curious to know of your fields with high stone concentrations show any difference in effects?

IMO, the lime is not the answer. But that is only my opinion. The effects of the lime will take too long to achieve any neutralizing action if it even has that capacity on the type of acids that you are thinking of. However, if you can get some activated charcoal in your area, and suspend it in liquid, water or fertilizer etc. and apply it with the seed, you can likely achieve the chemical neutralizing effects you wish to have. IMO. We use activated charcoal here to do just that, but in a somewhat different circumstance. We apply the charcoal mix over the seed row in a very narrow band when planting grass for seed production, to neutralize the short term sterilant  we apply directly after planting, right over the seed row.

IMO.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)