AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cattle and Working in town
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

steelguitar
Posted 4/23/2014 10:28 (#3831854)
Subject: Cattle and Working in town

Dougherty, IA
What would you suggest to a guy who is renting some ground, working in town, and wanting to get into cattle as a way to farm full time?

I don't have any access to pasture. My time is fairly tight because I work full time in town, rent some land on the side, and help my family farm. I do have access to an acreage where I could have a decent feeding set-up.

I am leaning towards buying light Holstein calves and finishing them out using self feeders. This way I don't have to invest a lot of money into feeding or hay equipment, and I don't have to take much (if any) land out of row-crop production to put in forage. I also wouldn't have to fire up a tractor to feed them every day. I could feed them small squares of waterway grass hay and bed them with small bales of oat straw (both of which I have pretty easy access to). I could borrow my family's skid loader and tractor on weekends to do any machinery work that would need to be done.

My family has a cow-calf operation so I have been around cattle, but not Holsteins.

I am not afraid of work, I am looking for the best way to get into the business with limited time and a limited investment in equipment. I am open to any and all suggestions.

Located in Central IA btw, thank you!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)