AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rebuilding the cow herd?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

NoTill1825
Posted 4/23/2014 06:38 (#3831430 - in reply to #3830800)
Subject: RE: Rebuilding the cow herd?

NC Indiana
Several young guys wanting cows around here, but only the cheap ones. I know 2of them picked up some $15-1600 pairs last week. Cows looked like they needed a few more groceries, but good sized calves on them. One of them plans to pound them out this fall and the other is just wanting to replace some old cows he already owns. I told my brother with no better than our soybeans yield we should look at seeding some summer forage under one of our pivots that needs rotated out of corn and run some more cows in that field then pound them out this fall. He thought I was nuts, but how's that different from any other day. Bred cows still very reasonable locally, just not big numbers of them. Other thought was to look for fall calvers and run them in the woods until harvest is done then run them on stalks all winter then sell them all in the spring as we don't graze all of our stalks. The heifers we've kept so far haven't even replaced the cows we cull in '12 due to the drought. The heifers we're keeping now will replace cows we need to cull now due to structure and udder issues.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)