AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A couple more reasons beef is so high priced
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

SpringBrookFarm
Posted 4/23/2014 20:02 (#3832636 - in reply to #3832573)
Subject: RE: A couple more reasons beef is so high priced

Paradise KS
I sold my first set of calves around ten years ago and at that time I was praying for 85 or 90 cents a pound. These would be weaned steers and heifers in the fall and sell after weaning so the 600 pound range. Maybe five years ago we were looking at 1.20 a pound and just the last two years has it been over 1.50 a pound. We were in the 1.65 to 1.90 a pound depending on what set we sold.

I agree there has been a gradual decrease since the 80's and a great decrease in the past few years. The great expansion? I think not, its more like the great rebuild.

We have put off buying new cows or replacement cows for five years now. Finally this year we had a great sell off of older cows because we could get a dollar a pound for them and they were starting to have issues. We kept 40 heifers this year just to get back on track. It will still take us a few more years to get back to where we were five years ago and i would say in general thats the case.

So are prices high! YES they are, but when people are selling 10, 20 , 30 , 500 head less then they usually do because they cant afford to feed them or they have simply run out of grass its about equal.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)