AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody considered "opting out" of standardized tests?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

milofarmer1
Posted 4/22/2014 17:04 (#3830432)
Subject: Anybody considered "opting out" of standardized tests?

Texas/New Mexico Stateline
Tis the season down here for the standardized testing. Our kids are not old enough for it yet, but having family members in the educational system they have relayed how the whole thing has really ruined education in some districts. Sister was a librarian at a middle school in the inner city, and she basically could do NOTHING as far as promoting reading the second semester because they were always "too busy" doing test prep. She said the kids were always doing pre-tests to index their progress, so by the time the real state test came along they were either 1)"Tested out" and sick of it or 2) programmed to know how to do multiple choice tests. But still counting math problems on their fingers in middle school.

I am finding the opting out movement is interesting. I have wondered what the position of the state is when your kid doesn't take the test. Maybe a good grassroots way to say we have had enough?

I don't know what was wrong with the old methods of an elected school board for a small school that set the curriculum standards to grant promotion to the next grade. Then allow school choice and the bad schools will eventually wither away and die, or reform to improve.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)