AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Market woke up a little today.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Posted 4/22/2014 17:15 (#3830445 - in reply to #3830333)
Subject: RE:Let's hope it wakes up soon.

Death comes to us all. Life's but a walking shadow
The corn buyer called today trying to get me to forward contract some new crop corn at a pretty good discount. First he tried to scare me with the recent price decline and when that didn't work he tried the old "too much carryout" line. I pointed out to him that corn exports are very strong and running ahead, that despite cattle hog numbers being down the tons of beef & pork production is plenty high. and you don't get pounds like that without feeding hard so I thought that he might just be mistaken there. Then he tried to find out just where my sell target was and since he's young I explained to him that despite the fact that I've already purchased my seed and fertilizer until I actually spread the fertilizer and planted the seed my costs are quite modest and manageable. (That seed and fertilizer will store just fine until next year, if I choose I can plant a last minute crop of beans for very little money and I have bin space to store practically my whole production.
I finished the conversation off with, " Until I plant the crop he, meaning the market, doesn't have me by the throat". Given the fact that it was pouring down rain I felt like it didn't matter too much whether I wanted to plant corn or not I couldn't anyhow so I could afford to blusher a little. I am curious though they have never called me so often this early other years. Maybe I've just been too easy and too eager to sell previously.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)