AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Telsa electric car
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Chimel
Posted 4/20/2014 21:09 (#3827722 - in reply to #3827462)
Subject: RE: Telsa electric car

redoak - 4/20/2014 17:48
it may just be the car of the future for many

Probably not for heavy duty vehicles for a while, although I think there is a fully electric Range Rover, but EVs will definitely make up most of the regular cars in the near future. Tesla is just marketing to the early adopters, but you probably wouldn't have been able to travel to Ohio with one at this stage, I doubt there are many Tesla free supercharging stations on your route yet.

It will be interesting to see how things progresses, as gas becomes more expensive and reserved to technologies we can't replace yet, like plastics. We can't really develop too many different technologies for the individual car market, so maybe the different energy competitors should be used for different markets, like hydrogen for city buses, natural gas (LPG) for trucks and non-electrified trains. Even natural gas reserves will be mostly gone before the end of the century, and are not even an option in many countries.

Panasonic broke the 25% efficiency record for standard (non-concentrated) solar cells this month, reaching 25.6% efficiency. Their current HIT (Heterojunction with Intrinsic Thin layer) solar panels are 18% efficient right now, which already beats anything in the market, they should reach 24% once they move to the 25.6% efficient solar cells, and if they manage to keep prices low. That would be over a 50% increase compared to what most 15% efficient solar panels deliver today. It seems it becomes easier to recharge these EVs on a large scale. I don't know about cheaper though, I don't know how much these new cells would cost.
http://solarlove.org/panasonic-hit-solar-cell-sets-world-efficiency...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)