AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

dont look a gift horse in the mouth
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

cfdr
Posted 4/20/2014 16:10 (#3827109 - in reply to #3826954)
Subject: RE: how far back does your tree ring...

As I said, I think it goes back to 1680, but it was over twenty years ago that I did the study, and the data was on Quatro Pro most likely, so I'm sure I don't have it now. I'm guessing I got the data from ISU, as I was talking to Louis Thompson (from ISU) at the Foundation for the Study of Cycles conferences back in the early 90s. They published an article I wrote about it, but it would have been back in 95. I used statistics software from the Foundation to do the cycle analysis.

There is a good book on tree ring data from the SW US by Harold Fritts. "Reconstructing Large-scale Climate Patterns from Tree-ring Data" is the title. That shows that the twentieth century was unusually wet - just when all the people moved to the SW. I wonder if it currently is just getting back to normal. Could be difficult if so.

I think one technique on going back a log ways is to use posts, etc that were harvested long ago and correlate them with living trees.

BTW, Louis was always talking the 18.6 year lunar cycle, but after reading my article he told me that he thought I was right. *If* I was, and *if* it repeats now that we are in a longer term La Nina cycle, the next few years could be interesting years in the corn belt.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)