AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wheat and potential frost damage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

1156versatile
Posted 4/16/2014 06:36 (#3819213 - in reply to #3817526)
Subject: RE: Wheat and potential frost damage

Strathcona, mn
I drove from Nw min to witchita, ks Monday, then on from there to Enid Tuesday morning. Tuesday we travelled Nw from Enid, okto Alva, ok and stopped in Pratt, ks las night. Wichita is substantially drier than Kansas City based on green grass around. I really feel for the guys and gals around Enid as it is really, really dry. Wheat around Enid seems t be jointing. As you go north there are fields around Alva that May be in joint but most IMO are tillering. The low Tuesday morning was 25 in Enid and there was noticeable frost for witchita, ks through Enid, ok. I saw an alfalfa field just outside Enid that was wilted over from frost damage. For the most part wheat/canola around Enid looks bad, they needed rain and didn't get it. A lot of wheat is getting grazed off. As you head north there are ok wheat fields mixed with the bad ones. South of Pratt Kansas they must have gotten some more moisture by the looks of the fields and green grass in the road ditches. I'm not sure how much freeze damage the wheat near Pratt would have received but I don't think it is far enough along to be detrimental. I would think south of Alva, ok eh damage will be substantial. I have seen very few canola fields that are going to pay back inputs. IMO the canola will have a hard time making 600-800 # on average. There's re lots of barren spots and thin stands.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)