AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pork shoulder on the grill
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Herkster5
Posted 4/11/2014 09:53 (#3809532 - in reply to #3809524)
Subject: RE: Pork shoulder on the grill

mikado - 4/11/2014 09:47

I recently had a market wt hog go down on me. I've always wanted to try my hand at home butchering so I guess I got my wish. I cleaned, skinned, and ended up cutting it in half, then cut out the shoulder, ribs and loin, and then the butt and ham. Pretty crude but just learning. It's in my freezer but I did take 1 shoulder out that I'm thawing out in the fridge and plan on making it on the grill on Sunday. I plan on puttin on a rub about 24 hrs ahead of grilling. The shoulder weighs 25 lbs, yes I can fit that on my grill. Looking for so other tips. Should I inject it? I've got a recipe for an injection. When should the injection be done? With the rub or right before grilling. I plan on wrapping this in foil for the grill. Is that a good idea? I'm sure there are several different ways to do this, but I would like to hear how you do it.

Are you going to be slicing it or cooking it to pull for pulled pork sandwhiches?
I smoke pork butts quite often, I don't foil as I like the bark that is created from the heat directly on the meat. If you are going to pull it, I'd recommend running it to 200-205 internal temperature, make sure you aren't reading that next to the bone as it will read hot in that spot.

If slicing...I have no idea, I never slice that cut of meat, so hopefully someone will have an idea.

25 lb is huge, you'll be at it for quite awhile if you are going to "pull" the meat!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)