AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

a great read for Garvo and all
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

farmer82
Posted 3/24/2014 21:16 (#3774134 - in reply to #3773845)
Subject: RE: a great read for Garvo and all 2nd attachment attempt

S.E. Iowa
Great read, many on here have said how GMO's are the saving grace to feeding the planet in the middle of this century. Well this just isnt true, they may have a role but land stewardship trumps all. Some how government scientists say we are doing better than 30 plus years ago. Take alook at old aerial maps and compare them to today. It really makes me sick, Livestock people, have been beat out by the grains being more profitable so many acres have been plowed up and farmed. Land that used to be seeded down to grass only sees a bit of foxtail occasionally. Land that I used to farm, the waterways have been reduced to small rises of grass with the water going down both sides of it. Another field that I used to farm, when I had it it had 8 waterways and now it has none. My son was the second highest bid on 400 acreds of land. He missed it by 40000 bucks from a guy that comes from 30 miles away. He told me they {the landlord} are really loosing, dad I was going to put cover crops and really take care of the land. Based on what this guy has done to neighboring farms, I would not let him rent my garden. Farming has changed, there are good crop growers but from the roads I drive down I dont see many good farmers. Some call it "just business", yes it is a business but it is national security when we cant feed ourselves. Look at chicken and to a slightly lesser extent hogs what the "industrialists" have done. I see school consolidation, terrible erosion, no dealeraships around, neighbors who circle above like vultures waiting for a bit of gossip about someone being in a bind. I dont like it, I told my son we need to expand inward not outward.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)