AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Von WC ohio
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 3/19/2014 11:45 (#3763070 - in reply to #3762879)
Subject: RE: Von WC ohio

Well most of the time I am searching for my own past posts and sort of remember what it was about. I always try and use a more exact term in the title of my posts so I can remember it better and search it more easily later.

You can put in key words to look for and if searching for your own stuff enter your user name to help narrow it down.

I usually search all forums and you can also use the drop down box to search different time frames which can include all posts or choose the pop up calendars when checking the last search option of "search posts made between" the 2 blank boxes.

1st pic.

For my own stuff I try and cross reference a new post with a click able link to older posts I have already made. Over time it makes it simpler to try and find my own stuff because if I can find one it gives me the link to others.

I also have folders on my computer where I  "save pages as HTML page" This essentially saves a whole thread and all replies to a file I can open up locally. I can then title it to something significant like X idea or combine solution etc. It helps me keep track of important stuff I want to archive locally.

I would not say I have a photographic memory but I can remember a lot of things and a keyword or author of something that usually gets it to turn up in the search results.

Here would be an example.

I remember Cliff SEIA made a tool for straightening a combine cutter bar.  

1) I know it was cutterbar and tool for the keywords.

2 I know his user name is Cliff SEIA ( this is the tricky part remembering a name or how it is spelled, spaces, capitalization etc

2nd pic

A single post comes up in the search

3rd pic

When you click on it 

Here is the thread that appears

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=421520&posts=15&highlight=cutterbar%20tool%20&highlightmode=1#M3366912

However this is the latest post of this I believe there was an earlier one when it first happened like maybe 2 years prior but that did not turn up in the search results. It's strange results at times but eventually I have always been able to find stuff if I was persistent enough and changed key words around.

Sometimes I have a hard time finding stuff too so don't feel you are alone. Often your keywords can be too vague or too precise and the results don't show up. The more detail you can remember about the post and time frame you are looking for the better.

I too wish the search was a little better to use with a little more precise results. There is a huge archive of searchable material on AgTalk if you can find it.

The great thing though there is a huge user base so often times others will remember the same thing and with a large number of people running the search function we can often come up with the post that many are remembering about.

You can also use a search engine like Google to search key words but also stipulate you want Newagtalk or Ag Talk in the search parameters.

(Capture6.jpg)

(Capture 7.jpg)

(Capture 8.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Capture6.jpg (41KB - 91 downloads)
Attachments Capture 7.jpg (41KB - 77 downloads)
Attachments Capture 8.JPG (75KB - 73 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)