AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lester vs Cleary buildings
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 3/19/2014 11:35 (#3763052 - in reply to #3762133)
Subject: RE: Lester vs Cleary buildings

Cleary tends to short the specs, especially snow and wind load. Many a building salesman (nearly all brands) hears you say 14' door clearance and quotes a 14' eave which puts the side wall door top down about 11' 8". The last time I got a Cleary quote they did that, left out a couple doors, and didn't meet local snow requirements. When I kicked their shins and got the specs where I wanted them, the price escalated to near that from Morton.

Morton's price s partly based on more material for a stronger building. I've also found that for new customers I could get a bid at a farm show or the state fair and many competitors even though I gave them a drawing of what I wanted, haven't yet given me a price, ten years later.

My first shed is a Bonanza who was bought by Lester. My second shed is a Wicks and the finalists then were Lester and Wicks. Wicks came standard with screws for the tin and Lester would use screws for extra cost. The Wicks crew did the work with snow and some wind, and the foreman rejected some of the lumber, chopping it to bits saying. "I'm not trusting that for my men to stand on."

I bought a place with a vintage Morton. I had to adjust the door rollers to make the sliding doors work without excessive force, the Morton dealer has promised to come look it over, but in the four years since I moved here I haven't seen him.

Some building salesmen claimed that Cleary was not allowed in some towns because of the low strength of their standard building. I don't know that is true, but their price really went up when I insisted that I meant door clearance, NOT EAVE HEIGHT! And real snow load for this latitude.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)