AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Extend your WI-FI to your tractor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

kc0myx
Posted 2/5/2014 11:50 (#3664635)
Subject: Extend your WI-FI to your tractor

NE South Dakota
Check Out www.Ayrstone.com I am setting up a network using (2) HUB-2N units. One will be at 50 feet on my Ham radio tower hooked up with a CAT-5 cable to my internet hub. The second is going to have a mag mount antenna on top of the cab and a quick ram mount on the cab with a power cord. The two HUB-2N will sync and extend WI-FI so I can reduce my data I use on my cell phone. I think this is going to be a great system for under $800.00 bucks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BIGASH Farms
Posted 2/5/2014 12:22 (#3664701 - in reply to #3664635)
Subject: Re: Extend your WI-FI to your tractor

MN
havent heard good reviews on ayrstone stuff.
bmoffitt
Posted 2/24/2014 13:33 (#3713391 - in reply to #3664701)

I'd be very interested in seeing the negative reviews - we are working very hard to build an excellent product with excellent service, because want to make sure our customers are satisfied.

Our reviews are overwhelmingly positive (http://amzstore.ayrstone.com/Ayrstone-AyrMesh-Hub2n/M/B00ESQ424W.htm#wbaCustomersReviewsWidget) and we do our very best to make sure customers are satisfied with our products.

Please let me know where you have seen negative reviews - if there's someone out there who's not happy, we want to try to help them (or at least understand why they're not happy so we can do better).

Thanks,

Bill Moffitt
Ayrstone Productivity
Nate B.
Posted 2/7/2014 19:03 (#3671530 - in reply to #3664635)

Bremen, KS
I'd be interested to see how this works since the Ubiquity 802.11 stuff seems to be End Of Life now. :-(
bmoffitt
Posted 2/24/2014 13:51 (#3713416 - in reply to #3671530)

Nate-

Please remember that, while the hardware is the same, the AyrMesh Hub is VERY different in use from the Ubiquiti equipment. See the last question here: http://www.ayrstone.com/wp/support/ayrmesh-hub2n/

Ubiquiti (and several other companies like Engenius and Wiligear) builds products based on Atheros (now a division of Qualcomm) chips. Atheros has discontinued their old "5000" series of chips, which the original Ubiquiti products and AyrMesh Hubs were based on, and introduced their very much-improved "7000" series of chips. The new Ubiquiti "M" series and the new AyrMesh Hub2n are based on that new chipset. The new Hub2n also uses more modern 802.11s meshing software and has a number of other improvements over the original AyrMesh Hub. while maintaining the high power and long range of the original Hub.

Ubiquiti builds products primarily for Wireless Internet Service Providers (WISPs), while we build our products primarily for farmers and ranchers to extend their local-area networks across the farm. The differences, unfortunately, are only apparent when you try to actually use the two products - they couldn't be any more physically similar and any more functionally different.

I can speak to this with considerable authority: I have used a LOT of Ubiquiti products for different purposes over the years, and I built all the Ayrstone products.

Thanks,

Bill Moffitt
Ayrstone Productivity
john.305
Posted 2/8/2014 09:54 (#3672955 - in reply to #3664635)

Central Iowa
I've heard the same thing about their radios. And even though 802.11 is coming to EOL, it still seems to have the better long distance transmitting power though. I'd be interested in how your setup works. How far is your furthest field from your HAM radio tower?
TurnbullFarms
Posted 2/8/2014 20:26 (#3674415 - in reply to #3664635)

Southern Ontario
Good idea, but it looks like these are just wifi range extenders. Extenders degrade bandwidth by 50% or more each time they "boost" the signal. Actually read some articles about range extenders this morning as I need to get some more distance on my router for some wifi light switches I installed.
bmoffitt
Posted 2/24/2014 14:08 (#3713449 - in reply to #3674415)

The Ayrstone products are actually meshing WiFi Access Points - they're a little different from the normal WiFi "repeater" range extender. Most importantly, meshing uses software that prevents network loops, which are a danger when using more than one WiFi range extender.

But you're right - any single radio system that is receiving and retransmitting data will halve the bandwidth of the connection at each "hop."

Please see http://www.ayrstone.com/wp/how-it-works/longer-range-networks/ for the details about setting up a long-distance network with Ayrstone products.

AyrMesh is designed for creating an OUTDOOR network across very large areas. For extending your WiFi signal INDOORS, I suggest first replacing your existing router with a powerful indoor 802.11n wireless router with at least two antennas. I have had some good luck with ASUS routers in large houses - the multiple antennas are a key component because they enable the use of "MIMO" to maximize indoor range and bandwidth. If that still doesn't "get 'er done," (or you just don't want to change your router) then you might have to use an "extender" - I have a number of customers who have had good luck with Amped brand extenders indoors. This one should work well: http://www.ampedwireless.com/products/rea20.html but, unfortunately, I don't have any personal experience to report with them.

Hope that helps,

Bill Moffitt
Ayrstone Productivity
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)