AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fertility Program with a Soil Warrior Strip Till Machine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jkreuziger
Posted 1/2/2014 11:36 (#3566719 - in reply to #3566557)
Subject: Re: Fertility Program with a Soil Warrior Strip Till Machine

Juneau, WI
I would worry about getting too hot putting half of your N in the spring strip using urea as your main source. With fall applied ESN you may have a significant amount of release when planting adding to the risk of a problem. I would not put more than 1/4th of your needs in your spring strip as Urea in your situation. For the remaining needs here are a few options I can think of.
Side dress remaining N.
Put remaining N on as UAN on the planter 4 inches away from the row.
Put rest of N in the strip using more ESN.
Spray UAN with pre herbicide.
General rule for shallow spring strip till is not more than 1/3 of N needs with urea unless done weeks before planting.
Next year you may want to consider a different plan. I like ESN in spring strip mainly for seed safety. Last year (2013 crop) we had a lot of rain at and after planting and all of the ESN broke down within two weeks. This was a good thing since the corn needed the Nitrogen badly. Side dress is the only way to adjust for N losses.
My plan for N is 20% sprayed, 40% in strip as a blend of ESN urea and AMS, 40% late side dressed. Increase or decrease side dress depending on weather.
Also urea and map will likely get slimy on you if it sits more than two weeks. I've found MESZ doesn't slim up like map will.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)