AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Found this quote on a NONGMO page from Ed Winkle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

il weedman
Posted 12/5/2013 19:50 (#3494242)
Subject: Found this quote on a NONGMO page from Ed Winkle

St. Charles, MO & Piper City, IL

Ed, I see you have been picked up by the NONGMO side and made this quote. Where are you getting your information?

Edited by il weedman 12/9/2013 18:28

(1475801_768125176538036_698991990_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1475801_768125176538036_698991990_n.jpg (65KB - 581 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
toolman
Posted 12/5/2013 20:05 (#3494297 - in reply to #3494242)
Subject: RE: Found this quote on a NONGMO page from Ed Winkle

IL
Wow, Ed has really lowered himself now by getting in bed with a bunch of anti-ag terrorists.
Purdu21
Posted 12/5/2013 20:15 (#3494345 - in reply to #3494297)
Subject: Re: Found this quote on a NONGMO page from Ed Winkle

WCIN
One could almost make an argument about getting away from glyphosate increasing yield because of glyphosate-resistant marestail robbing yield.

Also, even though the yield might be lower, the economics might have won out on the non-GMO side depending on seed cost, herbicide cost, and if there was a market premium.
il weedman
Posted 12/5/2013 20:25 (#3494378 - in reply to #3494345)

Not having any issue controlling Marestail in corn.
Economics are irrelevant in this trial as this was purely a yield trial and claim of out yielding.
And all I have been hearing is the nongmo premiums are going bye bye in corn. Soybeans are a different issue.
Jon S
Posted 12/5/2013 20:07 (#3494303 - in reply to #3494242)

Lol. Consultant...someone that looks at your wristwatch and tells you what time it is.
Ed Winkle
Posted 12/5/2013 20:07 (#3494306 - in reply to #3494242)

Martinsville, Ohio
They swiped that off my blog, Bill.

I quoted Coup from this page and sighted those yield trials. You could say GMO won that one trial or didn't.

That is all my blog reported.

I did say I am trying to farm without glyphosate in so many words.

You probably should have emailed that to me and let me handle it with those people instead of putting it on here.

Ed
il weedman
Posted 12/5/2013 20:14 (#3494335 - in reply to #3494306)

<p>Well I know you have been outspoken about it. I looked at the data and didn't see that the NONGMO out yielded the GMO in the trials at all when comparing the comparable varieties. I just didn't think you would make that stretch.</p>

Edited by il weedman 12/5/2013 20:22
burdette
Posted 12/5/2013 20:19 (#3494357 - in reply to #3494306)

MD
Which part did they swipe off of your blog?

Not sure I would be too proud of that.

toolman
Posted 12/5/2013 20:24 (#3494371 - in reply to #3494306)

IL
here is a link to the picture on GMO-Free USA Ed if you want to take a hard look at who you are supplying propaganda to. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=673005626073237&set=a.468695...
rupert
Posted 12/5/2013 21:46 (#3494691 - in reply to #3494371)

IA
Boy that really looks pro ag on that facebook post. Those of you that are bitching about farmers not supporting ed need to check out that fb page and website and just see how pro ag they are.
il weedman
Posted 12/5/2013 20:28 (#3494385 - in reply to #3494306)

I'll do you a favor Ed. When you get that meme removed I will delete this.
Ed Winkle
Posted 12/5/2013 20:43 (#3494446 - in reply to #3494385)

Martinsville, Ohio
Damage has already been done, Bill. You can't delete an original post, at least I can't.

My apologies to anyone I offended. My name has been put on a site I did not authorize either. I am guilty of that so I guess turnabout is fair play. I don't know how to make it look that fancy, and I always try to lift people up, not put them down!

Ed Winkle
Agfriendly
Posted 12/5/2013 20:54 (#3494481 - in reply to #3494446)

Been following this since I saw the meme on Facebook and have to wonder why, if you didn't authorize the use of the quote or your name, that you can't contact GMO Free USA and demand that they "cease and desist" and remove it from Facebook? Or contact Facebook directly and tell them to remove it and that it was not authorized.

Edited by Agfriendly 12/5/2013 20:55
hawkfan
Posted 12/5/2013 21:00 (#3494507 - in reply to #3494446)

NW Iowa
Ed Winkle

Edited by hawkfan 12/5/2013 21:02

(th.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments th.jpg (9KB - 237 downloads)
Ed Winkle
Posted 12/5/2013 21:23 (#3494596 - in reply to #3494507)

Martinsville, Ohio
Yep, pretty much. I didn't know it happened until I read Crop Talk awhile ago.

I only wrote the blog a day or so ago. Maybe I can handle it this weekend but I answer my email and I bet they don't.

If anyone has a phone number, I will call them.

Thanks,

Ed
Agfriendly
Posted 12/5/2013 21:31 (#3494631 - in reply to #3494596)

Why not just call them out about it on their FB page. They posted it w/o your permission, they deserve to be called on it.
CHRIS ECNE
Posted 12/5/2013 21:41 (#3494671 - in reply to #3494596)

East Central Nebraska
+1 This definitely didn't need to be on the forum. No farmer wants to be linked with a radical group. Some may think this is funny but I think that's childish. Hang in there Ed, you have many who support you.
Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 12/5/2013 21:57 (#3494726 - in reply to #3494671)

Chebanse, IL.....

I think IL Weedman asked EdW for some plot/proof info on gmo vs non-gmo yields per EdW's quote on world-wide web. What forum would that belong in if not Crop Talk?

il weedman
Posted 12/5/2013 22:08 (#3494762 - in reply to #3494726)

That is exactly what I was doing Ron. Those stats are from the very trial that was published saying they were out yielded but when you look at the averages they weren't. I'm not piling on Ed. But I do want some facts presented when this makes it into my email box wondering who he is and where he is coming from. Right or wrong I stand beside my original post and what I asked. He has been outspoken on the subject in the past. And I don't play the email game. Had that done to me in the past. You make public statements like that you better have facts to back them up. You sure can't talk in absolutes without any proof. That is just theory.
steveMIfarmer
Posted 12/6/2013 19:22 (#3496934 - in reply to #3494726)

West Michigan
I don't see what the big deal is. He wasn't attacking Ed IMHO. If you read Ed's blog post they quoted him directly. There is nothing made up. Ed may not have wanted it on that website but once you throw it out on a blog on the www it is out there for anyone. Just like something we post here.

OP just was asking for plot info and information to back up what he said. Seeing how Ed has not come up with nothing to back up his claims makes him look bad.
KDD
Posted 12/6/2013 22:36 (#3497592 - in reply to #3496934)

Leesburg, Ohio
Ron, weed man, and Steve:

Dd you ever stop to think that, from the looks of the graphic with Ed's quote, it seems like this outfit stole only his quote, but not the claim made at the top of the graphic.

You try having your information used in a way you do not intend nor agree with, and see what it's like having folks like you that have maybe made some assumptions here that might not be so, and see how that feels.

I know Ed personally, and have for more years than I like to admit. I have been on his farm, and drive past it often. I don't always agree with everything he says. Heck, I don't always agree 100% of the time with about anyone, and I bet you don't either! But I do know that Ed takes good care of his land, does a good job of farming, and is as honest as the day is long.

Shame on all of you here for piling on to a guy in a bad situation not of his own doing. Yes, maybe shame on me too for singling out three of you in this post, there are certainly more.

The Internet is a great thing. It's also the easiest place to do damage to people there is.

Now a bunch of you need to back off and an apology would the honorable thing to do.. IMHO.

Edit much later: OK, I was wrong about the quote, but right about the data in the op..it was not from Ed W at all. the op has apologized and admitted that the data was not from Ed W. the op did the right thing in the end in a more recent thread. Maybe I was a bit out of line in singling out the three named here. My apologies for that. The most egregious posts in this thread were not from them for sure.

Edited by KDD 12/7/2013 19:38
Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 12/7/2013 05:37 (#3497838 - in reply to #3497592)

Chebanse, IL.....

KDD.....

Ron? You mean as in Lukow? Me?

I was just pointing out the question by OP of the plot data yield, gmo vs non-gmo. I'm assuming EdW has that credible info at hand & will produce it. I believe EdW has often stated his belief in credible plot work, therefore I assume it exists. Someone suggested the Crop Talk forum was not the correct forum to discuss yield data claims, whether they be from a commercial consulting firm (like EdW's) or from seed companies, or from other input products, e.g. fungicides. I think the Crop Talk forum is for seeking & producing the truth, however slippery it may be to attain.

I should apologize for what part? Again, let me say that in case anyone doesn't understand, this website along with "blogs", whatever they are (I don't read them), is readable, quotable, & copy-pastable by the entire world. Even emails have been publicly displayed, though I consider that unscrupulous. Some posters have suggested the OP's original question should've been handled by email or telephone. Maybe the blog statement should've been made by email, and not the www also, but it wasn't aparently.

KDD
Posted 12/7/2013 12:29 (#3498696 - in reply to #3497838)

Leesburg, Ohio
Ron: I respect your opinions, and usually enjoy reading your comments. I was simply pointing out that maybe the claim made by the graphic in the op was not Ed's claim in the first place. And that his stolen quote at the bottom of the graphic was only used by others to make it look like Ed was making a claim that the rogue organization wanted to make. And if it was not his claim, how in the world is it fair to ask Ed for data to support that?

Could it possibly be that many here have been duped by an anti-gmo group into believing that one of our "own" might support them? Or maybe I am the one being duped....
il weedman
Posted 12/7/2013 09:27 (#3498257 - in reply to #3497592)

First of all I have known Ed for a long time also. And I have been misquoted a few times and I always followed through and fixed it. I am in no way piling on. I asked for his plot data showing his findings. I think you need to read it again. Some see it and some are reading way more into it.
steveMIfarmer
Posted 12/7/2013 12:05 (#3498645 - in reply to #3497592)

West Michigan
Not piling on Ed. Dont need to apologize for anything that I said. Just simply asked for the same thing that OP asked for which is info to back up his claims. It was a direct qoute from Ed. Was used by someone that most of dont like but Ed is the one who said that and put in on the internet.
KDD
Posted 12/7/2013 12:32 (#3498701 - in reply to #3498645)

Leesburg, Ohio
Steve: not trying to be disrespectful of anyone's opinion here, but are you totally sure that the "claim" was really Ed's, or could it have actually been made to look that way by whoever produced the pic in the op?

The quotes are only on the bottom part, not the whole thing.

Edited by KDD 12/7/2013 12:33
Agfriendly
Posted 12/7/2013 20:58 (#3499956 - in reply to #3498701)

If the quote was "stolen" and the use of his name "unauthorized", it should be no problem having Facebook delete it - if he wants it removed.
KDD
Posted 12/7/2013 22:57 (#3500304 - in reply to #3499956)

Leesburg, Ohio
In case you missed it, the op has admitted in a new thread that he was using what he ASSUMED was Ed's source of data, but it in fact was not. Just as I suspected and was trying to get everyone to at least consider.
CATMAN
Posted 12/8/2013 08:46 (#3500797 - in reply to #3500304)

Funny thing is he has yet to put up his source of data for his quote. That first trial that he is referring to in his blog claims it was the highest grossing corn but they added .45 to the selling price for a premium that isn't their. So in reality they was no advantage at all. But the anti ag groups still used that out of his blog. So really he has nothing to back it up at all. just his opinion.
Agfriendly
Posted 12/8/2013 09:15 (#3500871 - in reply to #3500797)

...And the meme still exists on the GMO Free USA Facebook page as well as others. Mr. Winkle is evidently fine with it or he would have had it removed.
KDD
Posted 12/8/2013 12:59 (#3501445 - in reply to #3500871)

Leesburg, Ohio
........." Mr. Winkle is evidently fine with it or he would have had it removed.".......

Here we go making assumptions again, just like the first time...we do not know this at all.
neukm
Posted 12/6/2013 09:17 (#3495595 - in reply to #3494596)

EC IL
Ed Winkle - 12/5/2013 20:23

and I bet they don't.

Ed

to me, this would appear to be an assumption.

ass-u-me
CaptainAwesome
Posted 12/5/2013 21:25 (#3494603 - in reply to #3494507)

Rio, WI
Don't sweat it, Ed. If you're not part of the solution, there's good money in prolonging the problem.

http://www.despair.com/consulting.html
Old Pokey
Posted 12/5/2013 22:21 (#3494801 - in reply to #3494603)

CaptainAwesome - 12/5/2013 18:25 Don't sweat it, Ed. If you're not part of the solution, there's good money in prolonging the problem.

LOL !!!!!

aray63
Posted 12/5/2013 21:37 (#3494659 - in reply to #3494446)

barry county mi
ILWEEDMAN HOW LONG YOU BEEN NURSING BIG M UTTER ARCHIE PS I BELIEVE IVE READS ED POST BEFORE THAT STATED HE DIDNT CARE WHAT ANYBODY USED WHETHER CONV OR GMO AS MOST OF THE FARMERS I KNOW. HELL I DONT THINKS THIS IS WORTH FIGHTING OVER LIFE IS TOO SHORT USE WHAT YOU WANT AND ILL USE WHAT I WANT.GLAD I GOT TO FARM MOST OF MY LIFE WHEN 99 PERCENT OF THE FARMER WERE GENTLEMEN TO ONE ANOTHER. THANKS ARCHIE JENNINGS
Shinynewfarmer
Posted 12/5/2013 21:51 (#3494706 - in reply to #3494446)

NW North Dakota
This is a public forum for sharing opinions and information. If you don't agree with one person's opinion, it's certainly acceptable to say so. However, I think it's sad that so many of you feel the need to pile on Ed for being a situation not of his choosing. I use glyphosate plenty on our farm, and we will continue to do so. That being said, I find it very intriguing that Ed and others might be finding that using growing techniques different from the "norm" are proving to work better for them. I don't know Ed or any others that have posted here, but I can only imagine that he is embarrassed to be associated with a group that uses tactics such as this. If he isn't embarrassed, then it's his prerogative to have such an opinion. Weedman, your original post appears to be asking for an explanation as to why his quote was associated with this organization. Ed explained. End of story, move on.
Agfriendly
Posted 12/6/2013 15:54 (#3496469 - in reply to #3494706)

If the situation was not of his choosing, I would expect to see everything done to get the meme removed from Facebook.
bigswede
Posted 12/5/2013 21:25 (#3494604 - in reply to #3494242)

So I wonder what we've accomplished by treating Ed so poorly? Although we may not always agree with what Ed thinks I doubt this thread has accomplished much. I think Ed has some very good opinions on things. I myself don't always agree with him, however I don't think he deserved this. This most certainly could have been better handled outside of the forum.

Seems to me this was brought up in such a public way for a reason....JMHO. If he says he was taken out of context I have no reason to doubt him. The blog post I read linked on their website doesn't seem real controversial to me.

We have enough trouble with groups like this, no reason to help them by taking it out on each other.

Edit: As far as the actual subject matter.....straight RR corn has outperformed traited corn on our operation quite frequently when properly managed. So I wouldn't be surprised if non gmo corn were to do the same. Wether or not glyphosate is dangerous or not I don't know. It certainly is losing its ability to control certain weeds. Every one is entitled to their own opinion.

Edited by bigswede 12/5/2013 21:32
GrainTrader
Posted 12/5/2013 21:30 (#3494624 - in reply to #3494604)
Subject: +1 BigSwede

20 Miles West of Indianapolis Indiana

idk why Ed has become the target to attack....

ed likes no till
ed likes non gmo
ed likes taking care of the land like he thinks it should be take care of... not always after the almighty dollar we so often mistake for real prosperity.

redoak
Posted 12/5/2013 23:02 (#3494909 - in reply to #3494624)
Subject: RE: +1 BigSwede

sw ontario
+ 2 -nobody adds more common sense and value to crop talk than Ed ,, OP should have asked for Ed's comment-permission before posting
il weedman
Posted 12/5/2013 23:17 (#3494932 - in reply to #3494909)

OP had this show up in his email inbox. He then question where this was coming from. And what data he had to back up these claims.
Scillfarmer
Posted 12/6/2013 22:37 (#3497594 - in reply to #3494932)

southern edge of central illinois
The blind defense of Ed by several here reminds me of the Lefts defense
of Obama. If your gonna make a claim you have to be able to back it up.
Old Pokey
Posted 12/5/2013 23:23 (#3494940 - in reply to #3494624)

GrainTrader - 12/5/2013 18:30

Anyone that becomes a proponent of one side of any controversial topic, no-till vs. conventional, gmo, vs. non, etc., no matter their proclaimed respect for the opposition, and goes public, especially so public as WWW forums, facebook and personal blogs, etc. will become the subject of some form of attack. It always has been, and always will be this way.

dvswia
Posted 12/6/2013 05:57 (#3495126 - in reply to #3494940)

sw corner ia.
it is a part of "walking the walk"..
pat-michigan
Posted 12/6/2013 05:12 (#3495072 - in reply to #3494624)

Thumb of Michigan
GrainTrader - 12/5/2013 21:30

ed likes no till
ed likes non gmo
ed likes taking care of the land like he thinks it should be take care of... not always after the almighty dollar we so often mistake for real prosperity.

X2
iadirt
Posted 12/5/2013 21:38 (#3494664 - in reply to #3494604)

I agree with you bigswede. Don't let those whack jobs divide and conquer.

I don't care if you are organic or strip till or are one of those rebels with no flashers on your combine; we need to support one another. I learn a lot by listening to those that do things differently than I do and hope people like Ed continue to share their experiences.
hinfarm
Posted 12/5/2013 21:54 (#3494719 - in reply to #3494604)

Amherst WI
Personally I think it is a good lesson. It isn't just "the guys" at the coffee shop that reads this forum or in this case Ed's blog.

If anyone wants to go off on a rant about whatever that is on something very public like this forum you better be prepared to handle the consequences good or bad of that if there are any to what your opinion is.
bigswede
Posted 12/5/2013 21:59 (#3494734 - in reply to #3494719)

I agree
Chad H
Posted 12/6/2013 07:48 (#3495361 - in reply to #3494604)
Subject: Credibility

NE SD
This has shown that Ed is not in any way shape or form a credible person. Several of us on this site have known this for years. Others seem to just believe him blindly.
pilgrim
Posted 12/6/2013 08:17 (#3495436 - in reply to #3495361)
Subject: RE: Credibility

Pocahontas, IA

Ed

You have responded with class and restraint, I respect that.  Others have shown their level of maturity!  The internet is full of people who cannot have a conversation with respect.

Chad H
Posted 12/6/2013 08:43 (#3495505 - in reply to #3495436)
Subject: ^^^^^^^^^^ the poster boy

NE SD
Of not having any credibility.
clicker
Posted 12/6/2013 09:18 (#3495596 - in reply to #3495436)

Southern IA
weren't you the one on here multiple times trying to publicly challenge the credibility of a seed company, what level of maturity did th come in at
pilgrim
Posted 12/6/2013 09:25 (#3495617 - in reply to #3495596)

Pocahontas, IA

Challenge the credibility of DeKalb?  I did post evidence that supported the claims.  You DeKalbiots need to accept that crap seed can come in DeKalb bags.  I didn't see it the way you do.  I was warning others to check there fields and hold DeKalb accountable for crap seed.  DeKalb was blaming all things but there crap seed on farmers which is not right.

GrainTrader
Posted 12/5/2013 21:26 (#3494609 - in reply to #3494242)
Subject: is this the thread your talking about?

20 Miles West of Indianapolis Indiana

is this thread the non gmo plots your talking about Ed/Bill?

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=433833&posts=27#M3485242

CaptainAwesome
Posted 12/5/2013 21:32 (#3494635 - in reply to #3494242)

Rio, WI
The reason it's brought up seems pretty simple.

Edit: what's "pure seed?" We are so far from the corn ancestor, I'd be interested to hear what that is. Lets bring in teosinte and see how it does (shattering and all).

Edited by CaptainAwesome 12/5/2013 21:39
Agfriendly
Posted 12/5/2013 21:35 (#3494651 - in reply to #3494635)

If you read much of what the anti-gmo movement intends as its future agenda, it is to first label and ban gmo and to follow that by banning non-gmo, leaving only organic production. While it would seem to most of us that would never happen, we definitely don't need to be giving that movement ammunition to use against agricultural production.
bigswede
Posted 12/5/2013 21:47 (#3494693 - in reply to #3494651)

While I don't disagree that they will continue to try and ban gmos the chances of success aren't great. Do you think a government that works at trying to keep grain prices somewhat under control would allow that? How many operators have forgotten how to grow crops without roundup? Certainly it's possible, but how EASY is it?

It seems to me that the implications of banning all gmos based on the shaky science on their side...compared to a market based decision of sudden decreased availability in many grains, coupled with years of testing and good science on our side. If the EPA of all organizations approved it.....I'm not going to lose much sleep worrying about losing access to traits.

I agree that giving them ammunition is not necessary...but in this case I don't think that's what he was doing. He was simply sharing an opinion he believes...which happens to be shared by a lot of people in this community. Not a majority by a long shot....but not a couple off the chart whackos either.
rupert
Posted 12/5/2013 21:59 (#3494732 - in reply to #3494693)

IA
bigswede - 12/5/2013 20:47

While I don't disagree that they will continue to try and ban gmos the chances of success aren't great. Do you think a government that works at trying to keep grain prices somewhat under control would allow that? How many operators have forgotten how to grow crops without roundup? Certainly it's possible, but how EASY is it?

It seems to me that the implications of banning all gmos based on the shaky science on their side...compared to a market based decision of sudden decreased availability in many grains, coupled with years of testing and good science on our side. If the EPA of all organizations approved it.....I'm not going to lose much sleep worrying about losing access to traits.

I agree that giving them ammunition is not necessary...but in this case I don't think that's what he was doing. He was simply sharing an opinion he believes...which happens to be shared by a lot of people in this community. Not a majority by a long shot....but not a couple off the chart whackos either.

Since when has the government ever done things rational? I woudnt so quickly dismiss the sway some of these enviromental wackos have. All they have to do is get the ball rolling good with disinformation. Add in a general public that is too stupid to pour piss out of a boot and believes anything they read on facebook. Not a good outcome. Check out some of the BS that people write about "round up". You would think farmers use it for irrigation and its akin to toxic waste if you believe those people. Not sure why either side has to attack the other. No till vs tillage, gmos vs non. I dont really care. I use what i feel is best. If that be gmos or non so be it. Im not going to go for my neighbors throat for using the other though. If nons work for you great. but dont jam it down everyones throat.
bigswede
Posted 12/5/2013 22:09 (#3494766 - in reply to #3494732)

I think most here would agree with you...myself included, and while I don't presume to speak for Ed or anyone else, I think he would to
mac4440
Posted 12/6/2013 09:49 (#3495691 - in reply to #3494766)

The govt won't even have to get involved if you have enough of these people boycotting GMO and even non-GMO products raised using pesticides. GMO is just the first target. Once past that, they will focus on all the chemicals used to raise non-gmo. Their end goal is totally organic.
Agfriendly
Posted 12/6/2013 15:58 (#3496474 - in reply to #3495691)

Most definitely! Non-gmo is next, it is in their agenda.
Raymiet
Posted 12/6/2013 10:51 (#3495890 - in reply to #3494732)

why is it that we farmers seem stuck on producing more? Does anyone remember the days of 10% setaside to lower ending stocks and help raise prices? Oil companies have been manipulating prices for years by controlling production, That's what the middle east oil ministers try to do. And many companies do also. However getting anyone to voluntarily stop fertilizing or anything else probably won't ever happen. usda was the one that paid us to not produce on 10% of our ground. however if I remember correctly we all raised other things on those setaside acres.
Ernie
Posted 12/6/2013 11:36 (#3495979 - in reply to #3495890)

North End I-15
We raised crops that didn't pay to be harvested or broke even at best .
It was not till "Freedom to Farm " came along that we made money .
Raising crops that do best in our agronomic situation.
Agfriendly
Posted 12/6/2013 16:00 (#3496478 - in reply to #3495890)

Generally because that is what the banker wants! Expenses so higher and higher and it takes more and more yield to meet those expenses.
toolman
Posted 12/5/2013 22:11 (#3494771 - in reply to #3494693)

IL
Maybe you should start loosing some sleep over the gmo issue. Are you aware that labeling laws were narrowly defeated in two states within the last year? Take some time to read some of the false fear mongering propaganda being used to sway ignorant consumers about the products we produce on FB pages such as GMO Free USA, Food Democracy Now, and many more including Cheerios and Kelloggs. Now is not the time to turn a blind eye to this movement being pushed by the Organic Consumers Association.
Agfriendly
Posted 12/6/2013 16:03 (#3496482 - in reply to #3494771)

Very true! If the anti-gmo movement had their way, all American consumers would believe that farmer's regular attire is a Hazmat suit.
XIX
Posted 12/5/2013 21:50 (#3494702 - in reply to #3494242)

Don't sweat it Ed. I will go on record stating my non-gmo beans out yielded both my neighbors rr beans.
lawfarms
Posted 12/5/2013 22:26 (#3494816 - in reply to #3494242)

King City, Mo
I am not on Facebook.

It's nothing but a soap opera drama look at me high school all over again pile of crap.

As for plot data any plot can be contested....if I planted a plot and wanted to show something I could, then make me up a flyer that said +8bu with brad's pixie dust. Then get me some sales guys and sell a million dollars worth of pixie dust.

As for the nongmo vrs gmo. It's a variety thing in my opnion. See my post below with the guy asking about LL beans. There are good Rr, Rr2, LL, nongmo beans out there, plant the one that you think will make you the most profit per acre and have a spray plan your comfortable with.

pegleg pete
Posted 12/5/2013 22:28 (#3494822 - in reply to #3494242)

thorp wi.
ed , I don't know you from adam but I support your way of thinking ! keep it up !
FlyinIL22
Posted 12/5/2013 22:44 (#3494856 - in reply to #3494242)

S IL
From my limited experience Ed has been professional and kind, and I am always interested in what he has to say.
Lefty11
Posted 12/5/2013 22:45 (#3494860 - in reply to #3494242)

Coaldale, Alberta, Canada

ilweedman, what is your opinion of Dr.Huber's assertions, specifically the breakdown and re-activation concerns?

thanks in advance,

HL
il weedman
Posted 12/5/2013 22:53 (#3494886 - in reply to #3494860)

I put no faith in anything Dr Huber has to offer now. Especially since he won't allow any research on what he claims he found. http://www.biofortified.org/2013/11/dr-huber-turns-down-my-generous...
djmcountryboy
Posted 12/5/2013 23:52 (#3494971 - in reply to #3494886)
Subject: HMMM!!! I am seeing some coincidences here Bill

Mascoutah, Illinois
Wasn't your regime the entities who had John Haggerty (Soil Life) given the boot off of this site? Now you come after Ed Winkle who has spent many years associating with John. What is your group's agenda and why these two gentlemen?

Edit: I personally have always enjoyed Ed Winkle and John Haggerty and have shared numerous emails with both. I do not always agree with both of them, but I am intrigued with some of their findings. Farming is different throughout all parts of the country and practices which work well in one part of the nation may not work well in another.

Flame away if you feel the need. I like these two guys and I am standing up for both of them.
il weedman
Posted 12/6/2013 06:23 (#3495173 - in reply to #3494971)

Not coming after anyone. And I think you have thing mixed up. It was the other way around. I'm asking for data backing things up. This is a far cry from getting anyone booted.
CRJ
Posted 12/6/2013 06:28 (#3495185 - in reply to #3494971)
Subject: RE: HMMM!!! I am seeing some coincidences here Bill

NEIN
djm you sorta discredit yourself by blanketly "standing up for these guys". All weedman wanted was evidence. No doubt Ed is a fine guy but if you really believe in a cause you better be able to show real test results in your favor. He is being called out to back up his beliefs, why do some have a problem with that? Or is farming now a "faith" instead of a business?
maninblack
Posted 12/6/2013 06:41 (#3495207 - in reply to #3495185)
Subject: + 1 CRJ nt

So Illinois
nt
mounder
Posted 12/6/2013 07:14 (#3495280 - in reply to #3494971)

N.W. Illinois
If I remember correctly Soil Life got the boot for sending threatening e-mails to fellow AgTalk posters. I don't have a clue what led up to that happening.
Soil Life did provide some excellent info even if he did write in a very unconventional way. His outline of the proper way to take tissue samples of corn was text book. Unfortunately I can not find it on here even with a search. If anyone is relying on tissue test for guidelines on plant health it is a must read. Maybe somebody on here still has a link to it.
I also credit both Ed and Soil Life in stressing the many benefits of AMS years and years ago. Their sharing of their knowledge on things like that are much appreciated.
I sure don't see the original post as going after Ed unless the post was edited to change the tone of it.
Dave Cen.Ia
Posted 12/6/2013 16:27 (#3496525 - in reply to #3495280)

Nevada, Iowa
If anyone is relying on tissue test for guidelines on plant health it is a must read.

MUST READ! That was the issue, it could be read but not comprehended. I find your use of 'text book' in a paragraph about soil life, rather ironic.
pilgrim
Posted 12/6/2013 08:14 (#3495426 - in reply to #3494886)

Pocahontas, IA

Bill

Do you know that Purdue has had access to the organism for 2 and a half years and has sat on it?---Mike

il weedman
Posted 12/6/2013 08:23 (#3495454 - in reply to #3495426)

According to their pathology dept they don't have it. I have asked many times why if it so dire of a health risk why it hasn't been released or identified.
Then can you explain why he ducked out of having it mapped by the man in this article? http://www.biofortified.org/2013/11/dr-huber-turns-down-my-generous...
Nothing stopping him from bypassing Purdue right?
pilgrim
Posted 12/6/2013 08:30 (#3495472 - in reply to #3495454)

Pocahontas, IA

This Kevin Fulta is in the process of being censured.  That is all I know. 

this is the email sent to me from someone I know and trust:

"Mike,
    At a conference in FL last week Kevin kept interrupting Don  and badgering him during his talk. Don finally got fed up with him and said in front of the group that the only thing greater than his ignorance was his arrogance. This was met with a rousing applause. I guess it was great.   

Don did send samples to the USDA and Purdue for sequencing and they have sat on them for 2.5 years."

It is comical how Fulda's blog reported that the audience was on his side! 

Edited by pilgrim 12/6/2013 08:45
il weedman
Posted 12/6/2013 11:54 (#3496031 - in reply to #3495472)

But in the end why doesn't Dr. Huber release this information?
pilgrim
Posted 12/6/2013 15:34 (#3496437 - in reply to #3496031)

Pocahontas, IA

Don't know that he hasn't.  Who would want to deal with it and the consequences.  Purdue and USDA didn't. 

il weedman
Posted 12/6/2013 16:24 (#3496520 - in reply to #3496437)

All I can say is wow. Sorry but that I don't believe. I know of 2 plant pathology departments that have requested it and he has yet to share anything. I know there has been students trying to replicate his work but have no abstract. All the while he is on the speaking circuit drawing his retirement income. Sorry just don't buy it.
il weedman
Posted 12/7/2013 10:00 (#3498342 - in reply to #3495472)

Maybe you need a better source of information. How about Kevin himself? http://kfolta.blogspot.com/2013/12/someone-forgot-to-tell-me.html?m...
pilgrim
Posted 12/7/2013 12:55 (#3498772 - in reply to #3498342)

Pocahontas, IA

My apologies, the information I had was wrong if what he says is accurate.  Wonder why he did not address that Purdue and the USDA have had the opportunity to sequence the organism?

il weedman
Posted 12/7/2013 13:06 (#3498792 - in reply to #3498772)

Ask him
hawkfan
Posted 12/7/2013 18:28 (#3499503 - in reply to #3498342)

NW Iowa
il weedman - 12/7/2013 10:00

Maybe you need a better source of information. How about Kevin himself? http://kfolta.blogspot.com/2013/12/someone-forgot-to-tell-me.html?m...

+1 Well done il weedman.
Lefty11
Posted 12/6/2013 09:50 (#3495696 - in reply to #3494886)

Coaldale, Alberta, Canada

ilweedman,

do you know how to get audio from that exchange? I smell slant and would like to confirm or deny for myself.

thanks,

H

ps. Dr. Huber seems to come from a background of service and non-vested interest. That is very rare and valuable. I am just old enough to have the sense to not immediately discount the opinions and work of a man who has served for more years than I have been alive.
il weedman
Posted 12/6/2013 11:58 (#3496044 - in reply to #3495696)

The link to the audio was released but has been called back from what my sources have told me. It was on You Tube. But I guess the powers that be didn't want it released. So it is non existent to us now.
vailcat
Posted 12/6/2013 00:40 (#3494997 - in reply to #3494242)

NCND
Ill second that dj.
Ben D, N CA
Posted 12/6/2013 01:52 (#3495022 - in reply to #3494242)
Subject: Keep in mind...

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I will say that even a normal newspaper or publication can take a quote and skew it. I've been interviewed myself and had them fumble simple numbers. So to think that that was exactly what Mr. Winkle said or meant, especially given the dubious nature of the source, is a stretch.
Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 12/6/2013 12:42 (#3496137 - in reply to #3495022)
Subject: RE: Keep in mind...

Little River, TX

fumble simple numbers. So very true. The English Majors have a problem with sunrise and sunset times let alone anything complicated.
We can not completely blame the "Journalist" as a story that I knew up close and personal was written by an AF fully qualified with the Jargon, wrote an article and sent it out to be reprinted. Two weekly papers printed the article as presented while any number of big time papers expanded on the article or cut it to fit a smaller area in the paper.

Fifty years later the story resurfaced with further confusion and inaccuracies. Then a Joel Dobson wrote "The Goldsboro Broken Arrow" It is a self published documentary by a qualified observer, and very good. Still time and lost documents caused some problems.

exactly what Mr. Winkle said or meant, especially given the dubious nature of the source, is a stretch

This is so true. The incident I in the book was twisted to fit several agendas over the years by numerous folks with their own Axe to grind.

Inf interested it is on Amazon.
Get the Second edition if interested, http://www.amazon.com/The-Goldsboro-Broken-Arrow-Potential/dp/14834...

Or you can pay a little more and purchase directly from the Author.  [email protected]

One worning, the book is written with the Profesional Jargon, of the AF Bomber Command.  .

Edited by Hay Wilson in TX 12/6/2013 12:48
russiafarmer
Posted 12/6/2013 02:05 (#3495030 - in reply to #3494242)

Voronezh, Russia
Why is nobody from this forum standing up for this subject on the facebook site?
It's helping way more to speak out to the public then ranting in this forum to each other. We farmers need to show it to the world, not to each other. This is again a good learning experience for all of us about social media.
jkelt
Posted 12/6/2013 07:58 (#3495387 - in reply to #3495030)

Nesd
I have posted on the Facebook site Russia farmer! More of us need to stand up to these guys! We don't get anything accomplished segueing here in this forum where most of us understand that we all do what works best for us in OUR operation. We may not agree on all practices but most of us can agree we do what WE need.

Edited by jkelt 12/6/2013 08:19
Iowa Quality Hay
Posted 12/6/2013 08:19 (#3495445 - in reply to #3495387)

Grabill, Indiana
I posted too.
Agfriendly
Posted 12/6/2013 16:13 (#3496508 - in reply to #3495387)

:)
Agfriendly
Posted 12/6/2013 16:12 (#3496502 - in reply to #3495030)

Whether anyone likes it or not, Facebook has become a big part of modern communication, and it doesn't take long for groups who oppose various agricultural practices to spread a wealth of misinformation. If there is one area where agriculture is lacking, it is in being present in the media and social networks with truthful information and being present to oppose and correct those who chose to spread misinformation in those forums.
jkelt
Posted 12/6/2013 16:29 (#3496529 - in reply to #3495030)
Subject: They deleted my post on Facebook!

Nesd
I posted some truth about how organic growers use the same protein as a pesticide and they deleted it! Must not like the truth over there!
Agfriendly
Posted 12/6/2013 18:21 (#3496771 - in reply to #3496529)

That happens quite frequently on the anti-gmo pages. Chances are they have also blocked you from posting on their page.
Chimel
Posted 12/6/2013 02:20 (#3495034 - in reply to #3494242)

Wow, real nice name calling, il weedman, but wrong forum: it's in the true spirit of the Boiler Room.
Even worse: Still now, after Ed explained in details what happened, not an hint of an apology?
The tone could have been less hurtful too.

Googling for the first half of that sentence would have shown you Ed's blog as the first result.
It shouldn't have been too difficult to understand it was a quote from Ed's blog.
People don't have to ask permission to borrow such quotes, it is a legal right of the copyright law.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with the quote, those who believe in non-GMO and know how to make it work will have higher yield. It's Ed's opinion and practice, and I am sure there are many farmers who can say the same about GMOs because they work better for them. It doesn't have to be a pro-GMO camp versus an anti-GMO camp, conventional versus organic, tillage versus no-till.
Jon S
Posted 12/6/2013 05:55 (#3495122 - in reply to #3495034)

Here is the portion of the blog the quote was taken:

http://hymark.blogspot.com/2013_12_01_archive.html

"If you take a top hybrid in pure non GMO form, that is no glyphosate tested in that seed and plant it on soil where there is also no glyphosate, we are seeing the highest yields. That's in last year's drought and this year's extra moisture, which was seven inches above normal here this year.

I know the big seed companies who have invested millions in traits don't want you to hear this but this is exactly what we are finding out. Take a look at this option on your farm if you haven't already. The farther you get away from glyphosate and the purer the seed you plant, the better the yield."

The problem that I have with the meme is that lunatics are using it for a lunatic cause.

I do have a couple of questions about the statements.

1) Why would you test for glyphosate in non-gmo "pure" seed?
2) Was there "pure" non gmo seed that contained glyphosate (didn't know that actually exsisted...but anyway) planted in soil that had glyphosate applications so one could have a benchmark?
3) I wonder what the actual yield difference was? Was it statistically significant?
4) What's the real agenda here?

lawfarms
Posted 12/6/2013 07:36 (#3495329 - in reply to #3495122)

King City, Mo
There are gmo testers for grain.

One is as simple as a preg test if you have a coffee grinder to grind up the grain. One stick for rup and one for LL.

Wind can blow pollen, seed co's can mess up and get a little gmo in with nongmo from a warehouse workers screw up, or grain left in a truck/auger/auger wagon, not swept outta a bin, buckets on a grain leg not cleaning out.

EU will take 99.5% nongmo, Some in Asia have a max of 99.8%.

So to get pure 100% nongmo grain its tough.

Jon S
Posted 12/6/2013 09:53 (#3495705 - in reply to #3495329)

Yes, I understand those tests exist. And, I'm aware of pollen drift.

It reads like he was suggesting that glyphosate was actually in the seed. It could be that is not what he meant, but there are people that believe that is the way RR crops work.

il weedman
Posted 12/6/2013 08:36 (#3495488 - in reply to #3495034)

Name calling? I don't think so at all.
J,ReinkeFarms
Posted 12/6/2013 04:32 (#3495056 - in reply to #3494242)

Way to be childish. Ed has helped me with a few problems over the years and I think he is a valuable resource. In this situation I feel for the guy. I have had things that I have said printed in the paper and put up on the internet and they take what you said chop it up, use only the words they want, they will rearrange the words to make you say what they think you wanted to say etc. So they stole a quote off his blog, used it for their own personal gain and now it will NEVER go away. He will be hearing about this 5 years from now because some jerk will read it and try to rub his nose in it like a dog that just pissed on the floor because they don't know any background on what happened and how it got there all they know is he is wrong and they are going to tell the world.

Or you just jealous they noticed Ed and not you?

Edited by J,ReinkeFarms 12/6/2013 04:32
il weedman
Posted 12/6/2013 06:29 (#3495189 - in reply to #3495056)

No not jealous at all. Kind of glad they didn't.
hawkfan
Posted 12/6/2013 07:30 (#3495317 - in reply to #3495189)

NW Iowa
Yep, I wouldn't want to be associated with anti ag groups like that in any way shape or form. If someone is going to make a blanket statement like that, they better back it up or stfu.
cornstalk
Posted 12/6/2013 11:05 (#3495924 - in reply to #3495317)

Anderson County Kansas
I agree. Also don't make any statements that you are ashamed of. I don't see what the problem with somebody using the quote. If he actually believes that what difference does it make. I guarantee you a group like that won't be quoting me. I also haven't seen any name calling in this thread, just asking for data to back up the statement. I have a feeling none will be coming.
Jon B
Posted 12/6/2013 05:27 (#3495083 - in reply to #3494242)

Anyone on Facebook - just report the darn picture, and say that it is false information...it ain't that hard.
macjac
Posted 12/6/2013 06:00 (#3495130 - in reply to #3495083)

PEEDEEinSC
Weedman go pull weeds or smokem so maybe you'll learn some respect
Pvafarm
Posted 12/6/2013 07:08 (#3495263 - in reply to #3495130)

Southeast WI
I only know a few of you personally on this site, and none that have been in this discussion. Maybe weedman didnt have to post that, but it is out on the internet and worthy of discussion in my mind. I see a lot of theories and " I think" or whatever on this site. 9670guy was good to post some data. He didnt say these are the replicated averages of the plot so with all due respect, that data doesnt mean anything. If the "Eds" of this site are going to post absolutes in recommending what at least works for them, POST THE DAMN REPLICATED DATA THAT LED YOU TO YOUR CONCLUSION. Is that asking too much? Many are quick to point out how researchers, whether university or industry, have it all wrong, but at least the good ones have scientific defensible data to back up why they came to their conclusions. Think about that. I do believe weedman was looking for data and this is how he got the discussion going.
ehoff
Posted 12/6/2013 08:19 (#3495442 - in reply to #3495263)

Central Missouri
It is correct at their location in their soil type.
nviney
Posted 12/6/2013 09:01 (#3495555 - in reply to #3495263)
Subject: +1000 pvafarm nt

Evansville, WI
Nt

Edited by nviney 12/6/2013 10:04
steveMIfarmer
Posted 12/6/2013 21:37 (#3497411 - in reply to #3495083)

West Michigan
It is a direct quote from Ed. It is not false information. Well the message may be false but it is what Ed said. They may have used it without asking him but it was on his blog on the WWW.
coup
Posted 12/6/2013 06:09 (#3495147 - in reply to #3494242)
Subject: RE: Looks like the traits are ovrpriced according to those numbers.

USA
@ $4 corn takes 15-20 bu to pay for the extra seed cost.
redoak
Posted 12/6/2013 06:49 (#3495223 - in reply to #3495147)
Subject: RE: Looks like the traits are ovrpriced according to those numbers.

sw ontario
coup - 12/6/2013 07:09

@ $4 corn takes 15-20 bu to pay for the extra seed cost.

coup -NGMO corn from 1 company here is $X -with RR its +50 and stacked is +100 .............same genetic package ,NGMO yields are same ,but we have lots of rotation and not too many "bug"
9670guy
Posted 12/6/2013 06:47 (#3495219 - in reply to #3494242)
Subject: Here gmos aren't any better than conventionals

NW IL
When ever I put a stacked hybrid side by side a conventional or just RR, they are either the same or the conventional is better.

(IMG_1035 (1280x960).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1035 (1280x960).jpg (30KB - 190 downloads)
coup
Posted 12/6/2013 06:54 (#3495233 - in reply to #3495219)
Subject: RE: Here gmos aren't any better than conventionals

USA
9670 needs to be more testing like what you have done, in something like the First Trials that is available to the public.

My guess if it was done, a bunch of folks might finally wake up o the fact @ how bad they have been getting hosed on the overpriced GMO stuff.

lawfarms
Posted 12/6/2013 08:20 (#3495449 - in reply to #3495233)
Subject: RE: Here gmos aren't any better than conventionals

King City, Mo
The problem is large universities and large scale plots need funding. Who has money to burn? Big tech seed co's.

Universities need funding also, ISU was promoting some tillage to fight TWH at the ICM conference....one quick googling on my iPhone found in 2009 isu received a new 8000 something Deere fwa as a gift/donation.....

The bug lady atleast showed all the chem companies that helped fund her research.

Each farmer or neighbors needs to do there own test, and try different things. Don't drink my koolaide or anyone else's, make a smart decesion based off your farm trials. Listen to what different people have to offer to pick things out to try.

Kip Cullers promotes trying something on 10 acres as a trial.

If you can get a premium for a nongmo crop plus less expensive seed it can increase profit per acre.

I have posted and said to email me anytime anyone wanted my spread sheet to run numbers to help run what if scenarios for your farm.
il weedman
Posted 12/6/2013 07:03 (#3495252 - in reply to #3495219)

I have seen that also. But the U of I data didn't show that. And that's the data I questioned and is being used in the labeling issues.
Mudpie1971
Posted 12/6/2013 07:34 (#3495323 - in reply to #3495252)

This Il Weedman seems to have an agenda and doesn't appear to operate with the same spirit of co-operation that most on NAT do. He has run some of the best posters off this forum with his bullying techniques. Its quite appalling really. Chin Up Ed...most of us "get" what you are saying.

MUD
rupert
Posted 12/6/2013 07:41 (#3495343 - in reply to #3495323)

IA
So your fine with the campaign these anti gmo groups are running mudpie?
Mudpie1971
Posted 12/6/2013 08:14 (#3495425 - in reply to #3495343)

Missed my point rup..."I'll do you a favor Ed. When you get that meme removed I will delete this"----IlWeedman...I think we all now Mr. Winkle did not intentionally have his message requoted...No need to do to Ed what was done...Courtesy dictates that a private note would have been a much more appropriate way to handle this. Like Mr. Winkle said...damage is done...
toolman
Posted 12/6/2013 08:46 (#3495518 - in reply to #3495425)

IL
I think the real point is that Ed "cooked the books" on the yield data to support his hatred for gmo's and RU and he got called out on it.
Mudpie1971
Posted 12/6/2013 09:09 (#3495570 - in reply to #3495518)

I appreciate your opinion. I haven't picked up on the "hatred". I have always been under the impression that he used what he felt gave HIM the best return on HIS land for the long term. I didn't sense that he hated that others used technology products...maybe I missed it.
rupert
Posted 12/6/2013 09:13 (#3495583 - in reply to #3495570)

IA
He sure hasent been to worked up about these environazis using his words. I understand some on here dont like people using gmos. But not opposing these groups using your words isnt the right avenue. These wackos would go scorched earth on all things ag if they were allowed to. No matter if your support or oppose gmos these groups are not your friend.
cornstalk
Posted 12/6/2013 11:09 (#3495931 - in reply to #3495518)

Anderson County Kansas
Thats what it sounds like to me too.
rupert
Posted 12/6/2013 09:15 (#3495590 - in reply to #3495425)

IA
Mudpie1971 - 12/6/2013 07:14

Missed my point rup..."I'll do you a favor Ed. When you get that meme removed I will delete this"----IlWeedman...I think we all now Mr. Winkle did not intentionally have his message requoted...No need to do to Ed what was done...Courtesy dictates that a private note would have been a much more appropriate way to handle this. Like Mr. Winkle said...damage is done...

No mudpie i think you are missing the BIG point.
Chad H
Posted 12/6/2013 07:54 (#3495372 - in reply to #3495323)

NE SD
And just who did he run off with his bullying techniques? I know Bill personally and the end of the road for "soil-life" here on this forum was when he started threatening il weedman over the phone and tried to get him fired. You better know the whole story before you start making claims like you are.

Edited by Chad H 12/6/2013 07:55
Mudpie1971
Posted 12/6/2013 08:15 (#3495430 - in reply to #3495372)

There are three sides to every story...I'm guessin you only have one. I suggest you take your own advice.
Chad H
Posted 12/6/2013 08:42 (#3495500 - in reply to #3495430)

NE SD

I see you're a relatively new member here, but Bill wasn't the only one he pulled crap like that on. Ed is a hack just like soil life was. As to quoting it or calling him out on it, if he doesn't want that to happen, he shouldn't post stuff on the internet, it really is that simple. As long as he's been pushing crap propaganda, he should know that once you pus something on the World Wide Web it's out there for anyone to see, spread, quote, misquote, or judge. Sure he can chase it with lawsuits but to what expense? He wouldn't do it anyhow.

Him claiming he doesn't want that out there is as dumb as the 20 something's who slander their bosses or jobs on Facebook and get upset when they get fired because they friended their boss sometime back and the boss sees it.

It is my understanding that he has quoted this information without permission on his blog to top it off. 

Edited by Chad H 12/6/2013 08:49
Mudpie1971
Posted 12/6/2013 09:15 (#3495589 - in reply to #3495500)

Chad...I am having a hard time following you when you say "pushing his crap propaganda"... Can you explain to me what you are referring to? I don't see where he has anything to gain by pushing anything? It doesnt appear he is selling anything. If you argue he is selling his services...I would argue that in a short fashion he will be out of business if his "crap propaganda", as you say doesn't provide a return to his clients. Let the market decide if its "crap propaganda".
nviney
Posted 12/6/2013 10:12 (#3495774 - in reply to #3495589)

Evansville, WI
Mudpie ... I have personally received emails from Ed flaming me for my comments about another poster who promotes nongmo and his business on here frequently. So dont think Ed is some saint.
TCG
Posted 12/6/2013 10:18 (#3495792 - in reply to #3495589)

IL
Mudpie1971 - 12/6/2013 08:15

... Let the market decide if its "crap propaganda".

I would suggest that the 'market' needs accurate, science based information to make sound decisions. Not claims of mysterious pathogens that no one else can see, not claims of diseases caused by GMO wheat that doesn't exist, not pictures of tumor-filled rats from thoroughly discredited 'studies', not fake soil tests passed off as grain nutreint analyses and plastered all over Facebook, etc...

We're all in this boat together, and we need to start doing a better job of defending agriculture regardless of whether or not we agree with a particular practice or not. Letting wild, phony claims go into the social media unchallenged hurts AGRICULTURE as a whole in the long run, not just some little piece of it that you don't happen to like.
mounder
Posted 12/6/2013 10:55 (#3495902 - in reply to #3495589)

N.W. Illinois
Read this posting from last June.
http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=400078&posts=6...

Posted 6/29/2013 13:03 (#3181400 - in reply to #3181310)
Subject: Re: What is this corn disease [pictures] Quote Reply Alert

Looks like all the GMO rot I've found at the shank. What is plant glyphosate level?
What is soil glypohsate level?
Where can you test and rely on the results. I've been seeing this increase the last several years.
Ed Winkle
-----
http://hymark.blogspot.com/
I am not familiar with "pollen rot" but yes I've seen it in non GMO corn also, my own included. It has increased here the last 3 years.
Ed

Ed blames Roundup for a common occurrence in tasseled corn. Ed gets called out for it and before you know it Ed does a about face and admits that he has seen the same thing in his corn. It became obvious Ed was just making stuff up because he has a agenda Roundup and Monsanto in particular. This is just one time out of many that he did this in regards to Roundup being the cause of something somebody posted.
nviney
Posted 12/6/2013 10:16 (#3495790 - in reply to #3495252)
Subject: wisconsin trials in 2012 nongmo corn 15 to 30 bushel less

Evansville, WI
2013 in a non stress year... about even. I dont care either way on this issue as long as it is fact based.
Herbie56
Posted 12/6/2013 08:24 (#3495455 - in reply to #3494242)

Coles County, Illinois
With such wide spread use of GMO (100% for me) I really don't think that anyone can test non-gmo and reach any conclusions. Non-gmo's are grown in an environment surrounded by gmos. When trying to test non-gmo vrs gmo by the time you get enough isolation, you get environmental differences.
HFR
Posted 12/6/2013 10:06 (#3495749 - in reply to #3495455)

Central Minnesota

That is what My thoughts have been for a while now. Yes you can plant NON GMO'S and they can do as good or better but there is no way to compare anymore.  There just is not the pressure that there use to be. Not saying that the GMO corn will not quit working but the bugs around here are way less.   I remember driving at night and damn neer needing wind shield wipers on to wipe off the corn borer moths flying around. Havn't seen that in many years.    I believe my yields have gone up just because of getting a whole ear of corn.  The adult root worm beetles haven't been around eating the end of the ears off.   I believe anyone who raises NON GMO corn is benefitting immensly from the most of the people who are at this time. Might change.

t rock
Posted 12/6/2013 09:32 (#3495641 - in reply to #3494242)

Tablerock Ranch eastern Wa
If you click over one forum "stock talk " you could see the same thing play out in a different segment of AG , if I as an American rancher make comments on " implants in cattle " or acceptable methods versus unacceptable methods of handling or moving cattle , or the need for country of origin labeling or not, or any other hot button topics I run the risk of something getting picked up and used for propaganda purposes by anti AG groups, whether taken out of context or not, and I would expect to get called on it, that being said even though ED and I share very little farming practices in common , I have nothing but respect for him , he is always the true gentleman and is a great asset to this forum.
RCR
Posted 12/6/2013 10:08 (#3495763 - in reply to #3494242)

SW Ohio
Are you playing the game, knockout?

10 points! Perfect Score!
bull
Posted 12/6/2013 10:38 (#3495859 - in reply to #3494242)

Alabama, Land of the Absurd.
Didn't read all the posts (too many, too argumentative, too negative, etc.). But would like to comment.

This website (I thought) was specifically for the free flow of ideas. That (too me) is the beauty of it.

While I don't really understand most of what the fuss is about (not a professional corn farmer), I really don't see how targeting Mr. Winkle personally does anything to promote the exchange of information that we all gather from the "real" world.

We don't have to agree. In fact, we rarely do, but that is what makes the exchange of ideas so worthwhile.

We learn from the free flow.

Seems to me that targeting folks would severely limit that free flow and certainly limit the participation.

I would think that we would all be lessened by that.

sready
Posted 12/6/2013 14:33 (#3496333 - in reply to #3495859)
Subject: yep, kind of sad

Scribner, NE
just another personal attack
BHTN
Posted 12/6/2013 14:56 (#3496371 - in reply to #3495859)

West Tennessee
bull - 12/6/2013 09:38

Seems to me that targeting folks would severely limit that free flow and certainly limit the participation.

I would think that we would all be lessened by that.

That's exactly what it does. There are many times when (I feel) I could possibly add some input to a topic but don't because of how some people react. I'm willing to bet that I'm far from the only one. In that way real life can be the same way but people will say things on here they would NEVER say to someone's face.
Iowa Quality Hay
Posted 12/6/2013 18:26 (#3496785 - in reply to #3496371)

Grabill, Indiana
Without people like Ed to question the status quo we'd could still be using check row planters and moldboard plowing every acre we farm.

Ed's ideas about soil health and a more holistic approach to treating the soil doesn't fit with skoal ring, need more iron, Bash Board type of crowd. But those ideas hopefully make us all think about what we are doing. I chose to use some of his ideas, others we don't.

As to his non-GMO and Roundup comments, well I don't agree completely but at least he practices what he preaches by using Non-GMO's on his farm. If nothing else his position should make us all question why we are using the tools and technology we choose to use on our farms.
Mark (EC,IN)
Posted 12/6/2013 19:33 (#3496997 - in reply to #3496785)

Schlegel Farms, Hagerstown Indiana
Iowa Quality Hay - 12/6/2013 18:26

Ed's ideas about soil health and a more holistic approach to treating the soil doesn't fit with skoal ring, need more iron, Bash Board type of crowd.

Oh good heavens Jim.....there we go with the Bash Board thing again. I haven't been banned from the BB yet, and I'm 100% no-till (LoL)

As to the O. post, it looked to me like it was a personal attack aimed at Ed. We don't need that here. If he was really concerned, weedman could have talked to Ed himself.

Edited by Mark (EC,IN) 12/6/2013 19:34
IowaMark
Posted 12/6/2013 16:29 (#3496532 - in reply to #3495859)

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
I'm like you bull I read some negative comments and decided that was enough. Even though I don't no till I always read Ed's post and try to get something positive out of it. He has a whole lot more knowledge of the soil and ect. then a lot of of people on here including me. I hope you don't stop posting Ed because of this thread which to me as gotten way out of hand.
ekeller2
Posted 12/6/2013 18:37 (#3496811 - in reply to #3494242)

So. IL
What is the real issue with this? I farm the way I want, Ed farms the way he wants. That's what makes the country great. I have yet to see 2 operations do everything the same, we all just try to do the best we can. If he he wants to be non Gmo then so be it, we all were back in time.
clicker
Posted 12/6/2013 19:50 (#3497055 - in reply to #3496811)

Southern IA
the real issue is he is making statements that roundup and gmo prevent those plants from yielding to as full of potential as conv, All ilweedman wanted was his data source for the claim, ed doesn't seem to have it and is blaming part of it on coup and everyone is bamboozled, but, still no data has been produced
neukm
Posted 12/6/2013 20:07 (#3497124 - in reply to #3497055)

EC IL
clicker - 12/6/2013 18:50

the real issue is he is making statements that roundup and gmo prevent those plants from yielding to as full of potential as conv, All ilweedman wanted was his data source for the claim, ed doesn't seem to have it and is blaming part of it on coup and everyone is bamboozled, but, still no data has been produced

Pretty much my take as well.

It astounds me how many here are defending the misrepresentation of the products they produce!

edit: thanks for posting, ilweedman

Edited by neukm 12/6/2013 20:08
tink
Posted 12/6/2013 22:38 (#3497597 - in reply to #3497055)

clicker - 12/6/2013 19:50 the real issue is he is making statements that roundup and gmo prevent those plants from yielding to as full of potential as conv, All ilweedman wanted was his data source for the claim, ed doesn't seem to have it and is blaming part of it on coup and everyone is bamboozled, but, still no data has been produced

No offense to Ed, but what real importance is it to what he writes on his blog?  

If there a threat to the future of GMO's - that is the question and concern of many isn't it? - then his blog is buried under the mounds of evidence and opinion presented by the scientific community.  

Fear not Ed, but fear this:
Hereherehere and here(RR2) are some examples.

Poor Ed

sready
Posted 12/7/2013 08:11 (#3498087 - in reply to #3497597)
Subject: Scientific Community- illiteracy in science

Scribner, NE
Tink, thank you for posting the links. (I think you already understand this point.) On page 76 of the second link where they attempt to debunk no till as a benefit to the environment. (I tried to copy and paste but the document would not allow this.) My point is this; their discussion is an example of poor science. The discussion rails against chemicals but uses GMO crops as the evil. The point is that the "scientific report" violates the rules of science. It is an opinion without presenting unbiased data to support the claims. Rule one in science; UNBIAS! Rule two; data to support, NOT opinion first, then data.
Rule three; never opinion, just the facts supported by the data.

Unsupported comments are opinions, not science. The problem is our society sees no need to be truly scientifically literate. Most farmers would not recognize an unbias data set if it bit them in the... But who am I to insert the truth into a good argument!

hawkfan
Posted 12/7/2013 11:25 (#3498545 - in reply to #3498087)
Subject: RE: Scientific Community- illiteracy in science

NW Iowa
sready - 12/7/2013 08:11

Tink, thank you for posting the links. (I think you already understand this point.) On page 76 of the second link where they attempt to debunk no till as a benefit to the environment. (I tried to copy and paste but the document would not allow this.) My point is this; their discussion is an example of poor science. The discussion rails against chemicals but uses GMO crops as the evil. The point is that the "scientific report" violates the rules of science. It is an opinion without presenting unbiased data to support the claims. Rule one in science; UNBIAS! Rule two; data to support, NOT opinion first, then data.
Rule three; never opinion, just the facts supported by the data.

Unsupported comments are opinions, not science. The problem is our society sees no need to be truly scientifically literate. Most farmers would not recognize an unbias data set if it bit them in the... But who am I to insert the truth into a good argument!

Exactly, there is a big difference in peer reviewed science and junk science. Just because it has the word science in it doesn't mean it is actually science.

Edited by hawkfan 12/7/2013 14:23
KDD
Posted 12/7/2013 11:53 (#3498616 - in reply to #3497055)

Leesburg, Ohio
No, the real issue here is that Ed did probably NOT make the statement at the top of the graphic in the OP. his stolen quote at the bottom of the graphic was used without his authorization by an organization he is not associated with to make it LOOK like he is making claims against GMOs that the anti-organization tha t created the graphic wants us to think Ed is supporting.

Ed does not generally use much in the way of GMOs and glyphosate, but I know he would not make false claims like those above that are not supported by the data.

The graphic was not his at all, IMHO.
XIX
Posted 12/6/2013 20:42 (#3497224 - in reply to #3494242)

Non gmo corn won this plot.

Http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/corntrials/cornperformance.asp?txtS...
il weedman
Posted 12/6/2013 20:59 (#3497273 - in reply to #3497224)

Yes it did. LG2549 and 2531 are tough hybrids to beat. Will have that planted in nongmo for sure. Sure would have been a better comparison to have the GMO versions planted next to it to compare.
I also see it was last to.
XIX
Posted 12/6/2013 21:43 (#3497440 - in reply to #3494242)

LG2549 non gmo beat the traited version 252.7 to 244.
2DOGS
Posted 12/6/2013 23:36 (#3497717 - in reply to #3497440)

central ne
i thinkcnh is better than jd or cat. who cares opinions are like axxhholrs everyone has one enough is enough
il weedman
Posted 12/7/2013 09:38 (#3498291 - in reply to #3497440)

And not side by side or replicated. And I have yet to see anywhere written that they should out yield them because of the traits. The traits are there to protect the yield from insects without using extra applied insecticide. Have you factored those costs in? What were the insect pressures on the plot this year?
pbutler
Posted 12/6/2013 23:53 (#3497742 - in reply to #3494242)

Macon, IL
Wow-whata thread.

I don't see Weedman calling names at all, just asking for data.

See a couple people saying some pretty nasty things about Ed, that is BS too.

Personally I don't agree with some of Ed's ideas, especially the glypho stuff-but he has taught me some things that are spot on too.

I have met both Bill and Ed, and think a lot of both of them as men-both welcome in my house anytime. The trashing here is stupid.

Follow Bill and Ed's example here (whichever side you are on) and stick to the facts and leave the crap talk for the boiler room-Bill and Ed have.

Edited by pbutler 12/7/2013 00:28
loran
Posted 12/7/2013 06:41 (#3497908 - in reply to #3497742)

West Union, IOWA FLOLO Farm 52175
Spot on Paul.....

Rational thinking escapes some folks...

I happened to be looking for something else this morning on the Utube research network and found this......

Thought the first 10-15 minutes hit on some pretty good things...... Basically rational thinking escapes some...

http://youtu.be/vl2Ph3VBQfk
Pvafarm
Posted 12/7/2013 07:12 (#3497954 - in reply to #3497908)

Southeast WI
DONE! Game Over. Time has run out. Lets move on. Question asked. Thread could have been stopped immediately by Ed posting his proof/evidence/DATA. Didnt happen. Time to go home folks. What a run....
Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 12/7/2013 07:15 (#3497957 - in reply to #3497954)

Chebanse, IL.....

PVA

What if someone else wants to contribute? Perhaps what you meant is you will no longer re-visit this thread? That is acceptable by most, I'm sure.

KDD
Posted 12/7/2013 11:57 (#3498629 - in reply to #3497954)

Leesburg, Ohio
You don't get it do you?

That was not Ed's doing in the OP. his information was stolen without authorization by a rogue outfit. Maybe He does not have a way to show "proof" because that claim in the op's original graphic was not his to begin with!

Edit: ok, I see that the quoted claim was from Ed's blog. I still think the data shown in the op was possibly used to make him look bad, no other reason. I still think he is being treated poorly by some here.

Edit again: ok, the op has admitted he put the data in the op, and it was not from EdW. that was what i was suggesting we all might not be understanding. the op also did the right thing and apologized. Kdd

Edited by KDD 12/7/2013 19:29
CATMAN
Posted 12/7/2013 12:57 (#3498776 - in reply to #3498629)

Direct quote from his blog

If I take a top hybrid in pure non GMO form, that is no glyphosate tested in that seed and plant it on soil where there is also no glyphosate, I am seeing higher yields. That's in last year's drought and this year's extra moisture, which was seven inches above normal here this year.

I know the big seed companies who have invested millions in traits don't want you to hear this but this is exactly what we are finding out. Take a look at this option on your farm if you haven't already. The farther I get away from glyphosate and the purer the seed I plant, the better the yield I seem to get.

Looks to me like they didn't take it out of context at all.
cornstalk
Posted 12/7/2013 13:00 (#3498784 - in reply to #3498776)

Anderson County Kansas
It wasn't taken out of context. I would still like to see the data that supports Ed's statement but its not going to be coming because there isn't any.
KDD
Posted 12/7/2013 19:06 (#3499581 - in reply to #3498776)

Leesburg, Ohio
Catman,
You are right on the quote, I see it now. The data table in op, I still cannot find anywhere in Ed's blog or links. Still makes me think that it is at least partly a "made up" deal to make a guy look bad.
il weedman
Posted 12/7/2013 19:21 (#3499629 - in reply to #3499581)

I made the mistake of assuming that they were talking about the U of I plots that were posted all over the internet. http://www.spectrumseed.com/sites/default/files/performance-trials/...
That was my mistake and that is what the spread sheet is tied to when we compared genetic families. He was talking about this plot from FIRST http://www.firstseedtests.com/Reports/2013/B2013ILECsummary.pdf talking about higher grossing corn in which they added $.45/bu to the selling price to achieve that.
Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 12/7/2013 12:59 (#3498783 - in reply to #3498629)

Chebanse, IL.....

KDD

The link below takes you to EdW's www blog re. non-gmo RW trial. Looks like they used EdW's "claim" language right out of the blog. First time I've ever read one, but I had to see what the discussion was about.

What part are we not getting per your accusation? As others have said, the www isn't 2 guys at a seed meeting bs-ing in the back. Negative www comments will usually ruffle someone's feathers. Often times it does cost people jobs or livelihoods if not careful. But, if one believes with all their soul in what they profess, then be ready for feedback. No way in heck would I write a daily diary telling the world my thoughts on everything that is or isn't, but then again I'm not in the consulting business.

http://hymark.blogspot.com/2013/12/non-gmo-wins-root-worm-trial.html

KDD
Posted 12/7/2013 18:51 (#3499549 - in reply to #3498783)

Leesburg, Ohio
Ron, thank you for the link.
I agree with your thoughts on the www 100%.

The part I suggested that some were not "getting" is that it appeared to me that the claim and the data shown in the op did not come from Ed, only the quote at the bottom of the image did. after following your link, I see that the claim must have been his, but I do not see the data shown in the op. Maybe I am not looking in the right place. But it still looks to me like the op, or someone the op has sourced from, is putting a message here and representing all of it as Ed's when maybe it is not totally his message at all.

As I have said before, I do not subscribe to all that Ed says. I am not one of his customers. In fact i do not agree at all with some of his thinking on glyphosate, nor do i normally read his blog. But he is a neighbor that i think is an honest person, and i just feel he is being treated unfairly by some here who may not be willing to think that he might be misrepresented in the op image.

Edit: Ron, I see now where the op has apologized and admitted the data was not from Ed, but something he ASSUMED Ed was referring to. That was pretty much what I was suggesting we all were not getting. Not just pointed at you, tho. Sorry if I offended you. Please accept my apology if I did.

Edited by KDD 12/7/2013 19:25
KDD
Posted 12/7/2013 19:11 (#3499595 - in reply to #3497742)

Leesburg, Ohio
+1
DobsonAG
Posted 12/7/2013 16:44 (#3499199 - in reply to #3494242)

Donnellson, IA. Makes saying here easier.
Probably the most interesting post I've ever read. Thankfully I'm at the sale barn so I had the scroll time. I would like to know one person on here that doesn't push their agenda on here. Anyone doing something different always causes grief. I guess I'm lucky because we farm so many different soils and hills and tiled flats etc... that we try so many hybrids and we do varying types of tillage from none to strip till to occasionally full range so I'm more open to others practices. That being said maybe some are worried we have spent too much if someone can make the same spending way less. I.wasn't happy my RR2 was my best yield on two fields next to a triple pro. Does that mean that the traits hurt it no it means we got dry and it was more defensive. Although it yielded with it on the good ground too. Some traits do and did usually just in research not in field. Herculex can actually be a problem in a few hybrids. Some conventionals or lines never get released as traited because the conversion causes yield drag. Genetics I wish we all argued genetics and then each farmer ordered the trait package for the plant if needed. I'm planting some non-gmo for the first time in years but its on ground that's been in beans for two years that I just rented and I like scouting corn. I wouldn't try that in heavy rw pressure I'd plant smartstax and probably run insecticide on planter. Its about economics and ROI do what makes you money. I like that most companies offer conventional hybrids again in the same genetics as traited. I will always plant some of both but for a long time they didn't offer good options in conventional hybrids. Yes that was an agenda. As for yield data the information has to be there to make claims. I know every dog has its day and any hybrid can fail. I've seen DSM's scratch their heads before with plots. All data I have is always side by side. I had no conventional the past few years but beings round up actually could be used for irrigation here I will this year and will probably do a check of it next to traited corn. Hopefully all data will be straightened up and presented and this can be resolved. I like all topics on here and its fun to read about things even if it isn't practical for my acres. And remember here changes everything. We have premiums here. We have hardly any RW here. Round up is a grass herbicide here. So I wouldnt expect my thoughts to work for all.

Keep up the posts. Safe Holidays
Klaus40
Posted 12/7/2013 17:21 (#3499312 - in reply to #3499199)

Ed Winkle gets on here and promotes his ideas and theories all the time. When he's not rambling about non-gmo or roundup he is talking up first choice seed. It was about time someone asked him exactly what he means by his words.

When his own words are getting used by anti-gmo and farming groups, I think Ed needs to either join the anti's or quit posting information on the internet and claiming it factual and tested. I'd like Ed to provide all his soil tests of roundup and then show where the corn yields less or more. I suspect we will never see it.

Consultants arent worth a dime in my opinion. They always have an opinion that is different then yours and then you are supposed to pay them for their "expertise"

Brownfarms04
Posted 12/7/2013 23:56 (#3500382 - in reply to #3499312)

Right or wrong it is Ed's opinion and not one he shared to be used by an anti-Gmo group. He try's to inform others what his "experience are" and nothing more.
cornstalk
Posted 12/8/2013 02:30 (#3500445 - in reply to #3500382)

Anderson County Kansas
If Ed doesn't want radical groups using his quotes out of context, don't be giving them quotes they agree with. It should say something about Ed, that a quote from him would even fit in their facebook page. I'm pretty sure I don't have to worry about them using a text from me, in the same way. The reason is, I don't give them propaganda that isn't backed up to use. It says something that we haven't seen Ed respond one time in this whole thread. Ed post some data to back up your opinions.
JDH SE IA
Posted 12/8/2013 11:15 (#3501200 - in reply to #3500445)

Burlington, IA

You might want to be a bit more careful with your own statements. Actually, Ed has posted at least 3 times in this thread as a whole.

JDH 

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)