AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Painting grain wagons questions.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

OlsonKrist
Posted 11/23/2013 14:54 (#3463980 - in reply to #3463941)
Subject: Re: Painting grain wagons questions.

nw MN
I have been using Imron 3.5 urethane lately on equipment. In my opinion it is about 5 times better than any enamel, and not much more money. I spray it over a Nason epoxy primer. It is a thick paint though, and i have to reduce it quite a bit more than the data sheet calls for to get it to spray nicely. I was using Nason fulcryl acrylic enamel before with mixed results. Not sure on paint color codes, but I am sure they have an ag section in their book at the dealer.

I dont think you will have any problems with a cheapo spray gun. I used a Campbell hausfeld from Wal-Mart for many years before I upgraded. My paint finishes haven't gotten any better since the gun upgrade, I just waste less paint with the new hvlp. I would go with a 1.4 or 1.5 fluid tip. I was talked into a 1.8 by the sales rep for spraying heavy paint and large areas and I hate it. It is a giant run/sag waiting to happen, just puts out way to much paint in too big a droplet size.

I tried some SEM textured rocker panel coating on truck fuel tanks this past year and really like it. It comes in clear or black, and you put it on over your primer, them top coat over it. It gives a little bit of "cushion" under the paint to keep rock chips under control.

Make sure you get a good respirator, and good luck. Personally I think the sandblasting will be the worst part.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)