AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is a IH 1086 a good tractor?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

IL cow man
Posted 11/2/2013 15:34 (#3419777 - in reply to #3419600)
Subject: Re: Is a IH 1086 a good tractor?

Buffalo IL
The 86 series was an Ok tractor for it's era. Hydraulics are lacking period. great motor for torque, cab doors open the wrong direction, still a dry clutch, shifts terrible if you stop and let the clutch out between gears, TA issues unless replaced with the last designed TA, have to take side hood off to clean or change air filter, Short wheel base and turns sharp (but rides rough), fuel tank lid under cab filter( don't let door slam with dusty filter while fueling) and have to climb back of tractor to fill with fuel and still an R12 air conditioning unit that can be changed to R34, but will not cool as well. No comparison to a magnum in quality. The 86 series helped sell a lot of 40 series deere's in my area and I'm still red and still have a 1086. 88 series is a much better tractor also, but mainly because of the updated transmission and having a wet clutch. We use the 1086 to run auger and have loader on it for scooping snow if need to and that's about it. Can hoe corn or cultivate if need to, but very rare. Usually run to get magnum. If moldboard plowing I'ld ride an 86 series all day, as they were a great lugger and the Ta was great for down shifting in gumbo. We never had too much of a problem with TA's since we kept them adjusted.

Sign's to look for start tractor and shift TA and see if hyd light stays on too long or too short or if can drive can stand on brakes when moving and shift TA and see if it slips. Somebody else can tell you better than me on that ONE. Sometimes adjusting the dump valve(What I call it) can cure it. there have been a lot of unnecessary TA changes because it was not adjusted. The worst thing you can do with a TA is shift it down in road gear to slow down to turn. They need to be under a load and the engine pulled down to shift down. TA's will go bad if never used as they run continuously. See if clutch is real jumpy. They are not an clutch which let's you slide out easily because they are designed to engage when engaged, but if they are getting bad or have oil on them from rear main seal leaking they can get quite grabby. Start and see how long before hydraulics let you turn steering wheel if immediate it should be good hydraulicly. Metal in hydraulic filter which is unlikely they will let you know unless you can pull oil analysis. a lot of the SAME STUFF TO LOOK FOR ON ANY TRACTOR THAT IS PUSHING IT'S LATE 30'S.

Edited by IL cow man 11/2/2013 16:12
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)