AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dead cattle in western SD pics ( graphic)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

John SD
Posted 10/7/2013 23:17 (#3372192 - in reply to #3371823)
Subject: Re: Dead cattle in western SD pics ( graphic)

steigerpower - 10/7/2013 19:26

From what little I've heard, it's a real bad deal out there in Meade county.

It is a very bad deal in Meade Co. Lots of dead cattle on SD34 east of Sturgis, mostly across "the gumbo" from 20 miles out of Sturgis and continuing east. Also tremendous damage to WAPA power lines and electric co-op distribution lines. Be a while before the juice is back on.

I'm a wimp. Power off since Friday just before noon. Didn't have a tractor at home. Hunkered down and very conservative with my O2 bottle supply. Takes a lot of machinery to keep myself functioning. No generator to run O2 concentrator or CPAP. Neighbor came by with mfwd tractor Sunday afternoon and busted a quick trail that a 4wd pickup could follow. So I abandoned ship, packed up my medical stuff and a few clothes into the pickup and am now living in the lap of luxury at my sister's place in Rapid City. She was out of power for only an hour. Her internet was down until this afternoon so I'm kinda catching up here..

Kubota is at other neighbor's place near my summer pasture. Was getting ready to move hay. Kubota worked good for a day after storm and next day shredded serpentine belt. Not sure if ice or snow caused belt to fail or what. Got new belt at dealer and my sister and delivered to neighbor about noon. Picked up my mail at PO and returned to RC.

Plan to go home in a few days and if road allows clean out my fridge Won't stay until electric is back on. WREA still has 3200 members without power. Got help from other co-ops and National Guard.

My problems are very small and insignificant when considering the big picture. A lot of folks in a lot of hurt right now. Western SD ranchers will appreciate all prayers and good thoughts sent this way.

Edited by John SD 10/7/2013 23:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)