AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soil Testing for Water Holding Capacity
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jeff@JR Production
Posted 9/8/2013 00:50 (#3314713 - in reply to #3312930)
Subject: Re: Soil Testing for Water Holding Capacity

Minnesota/Kentucky fertility based on ENERGY
Sorry been traveling western Wisconsin this afternoon, the test was developed 1940 something or earlier? I could be off but one of the East Coast University’s developed it and I believe Ireland has adapted it as there standard for soil testing or quality!
Simply put they took the time to measure the rootlet extracts and found a level which they could measure the plant needs as a soluble nutrient!
Once this is found you take this test and run your Olsen/Bray 1 (CEC) and you have a good picture of what’s available and what’s in reserve, I've found in 35 years I can’t just look at one
The best example would be we are starting to see 90 to 140 ppm (180 to 280 lbs. per acre) on the Bray 1, and 40 to 50 ppm (80 to 100 lbs. per acre) on the Olsen, but the La Motte is running 60 to 90 lbs. per acre.
This doesn’t mean it’s short just unavailable based off moisture, temperature, nutrient interaction (anions and cations) once this is mastered, meaning understanding the different tests, nutrient movement and the ability to keep crops healthy and disease semi resistant to infections like Goss’s Wilt and related become easier to deal with verse saying there’s nothing we can do!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)