AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Homemade Tractor Weights (Pic Heavy)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

MCatSHF
Posted 7/9/2013 23:19 (#3200335)
Subject: Homemade Tractor Weights (Pic Heavy)

Sandy Hook, MB

Hello All
Had a problem with the front end of my JD 7700 lifting up when I was using my 3 PTH sprayer. I only put 420 gal. in it & had to steer with the brakes. Had to spray, so I went like that for a few tank loads. Luckily my fields are close to home & could drive slowly to them without incident. Once I sprayed out 100 gal. it is OK.
Previous owner of the sprayer said that he kept his FEL on his JD 7710 & steering wasn't an issue. It might have been OK in my soybean & barley field, but I think a loader would block my view in the corn field.
Local dealer wants $293.83 for the mount & $171.40 for each 104 lb. weight. Looked on line for used, seem to be going for $100 a weight, but nothing close. By the time I add in the exchange & freight it gets kind of pricey & crops need second shot of Glyphosate in a few days.
Brunswick Steel in Winnipeg has 1 length of 1"x12" flat in stock. I told them to cut into a 12' & 8' so that I can pickup with my pickup. Got the 4 - M20x1m threaded rod, nuts & washers at Fastenal.

12' & 8' of 1"x12" flat: 40.8lb./ft.

12': 480 lbs up to the saw.

Cutting first 18" plate.

First 18" plate: 61.2 lbs.

8- 18" plates out of the 12'.

They're going to go on here somewhere.

Paper template.

Dimensions on the paper template to program the data into the DRO.

Tested out on a piece of OSB. Cheaper to screw up a piece of wood if I made a mistake.

In position for hole # 1.

Ready to press the green button.

1 down, 103 to go.

Onto hole #2.

# 3.

That's 8.

First plate drilled.

Test fit.

Cut the 4 threaded rods in half. 2" of thread through the casting & enough for a nut on the backside.

Test fit 1 plate.

Deburring the holes.

8 weights ready to mount.

Got to go spray, I'll see how 8 works out.

Still a little light, made 5 more out of the 8'.

Still got room for 3 more. Anybody got 54" of 1"x12" flat kicking around?

I made a few chips. 104 - 7/8" holes through 1" plate, or if it was 1 hole it would have been 8' 8" deep. I've got a mess to clean up. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)