AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planting into rye pics (warning not for flat landers)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mhagny
Posted 6/20/2013 09:00 (#3164677 - in reply to #3163160)
Subject: Re: corn into rye

conservation cop - 6/19/2013 12:05

He must have seen a picture of you somewhere Lucas!:)

Your pictures are awesome and they can certainly give farmers some heart palpatations, but, you are showing what is possible.  In my working with farmers on no-till and cover crops, there are some who can be motivated better by reverse psychology.  You seem to be the same.  I bet you someone, somewhere told you that you couldn't notill corn in 4 foot high rye didn't they?  Well, you proved them wrong!  I bet that corn will never roll this summer no matter how dry it gets.

Although I've not been concerned about planting into tall or heavy cover crops, I have certainly stated -- several times -- on this forum that corn planted into live rye is problematic due to allelopathy.  I'm glad Lucas wasn't deterred, since apparently that live green vegetation prevents slug problems for him.  As to the negative effects of rye on corn, Lucas is doing some key things to mitigate this, including A) planting the corn late when soils are warm, B) providing mega-fertility via manure and AMS applied at planting.  We can all learn from this.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)