AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mods for combine, harvesting dry edible beans
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

HC Farmer
Posted 6/18/2013 01:27 (#3160752)
Subject: Mods for combine, harvesting dry edible beans

nc ia
Wondering what other guys have done for mods on their combine for dry edible beans? Poly cup augers? Bucket style elevator? Looking to see what has for others thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JohnW
Posted 6/18/2013 02:04 (#3160759 - in reply to #3160752)
Subject: RE: Mods for combine, harvesting dry edible beans

NW Washington
What kind of combine are you asking about? There have been some major changes done over the years trying to reduce seed damage.
hillfarmer
Posted 6/18/2013 06:11 (#3160816 - in reply to #3160759)

Blacks navies Reds just run "red " combine

I had to say that

Most of bucket elevators here are for kidneys
arcticcatfarmer
Posted 6/18/2013 06:43 (#3160857 - in reply to #3160752)

Tip of the Thumb of Michigan

This is from a shop about 25 miles from me.

Big Ben
Posted 6/18/2013 09:59 (#3161170 - in reply to #3160857)

Columbia Basin, Ephrata, WA
The bean combines around here are setup with the bucket elevator and unload conveyor similar to arcticcatfarmer's pictures.

Edited by Ben in the Basin 6/18/2013 10:00
keving
Posted 6/18/2013 11:55 (#3161298 - in reply to #3161170)
Subject: Re: Mods for combine, harvesting dry edible beans

Michigan
Slow down kits from front to back(feeder house,cylinder,leg,augers,etc)
AGB
Posted 6/18/2013 12:01 (#3161305 - in reply to #3161298)

Mid-Michigan
There is a ton of stuff you can do to your combine but you better get pretty serious into growing beans (i hope you don't get ulcers easy and can deal with failure because if it can go wron it will with beans). You can pick up a regular bean combine (Lillston) cheap in Michigan but then you will need to pull/windrow. Listen to the Michigan Thumb guys. They grow beans for real (we dabble where I live).

Edited by AGB 6/18/2013 12:02
tkoppel
Posted 6/18/2013 14:34 (#3161494 - in reply to #3161305)

Sanilac Co. Michigan
If you grow upright varieties, have a well adjusted flex head, and you better darn well have an air reel, also pays dividends to roll the ground after sowing. At the very least the combine needs to have the ability to turn the cylinder super slow, that is below 150 RMP, get a kit to do so. Spike cylinder for dirty/weedy beans. Perforated boots for clean and return elevators as well as perforated raddle conveyor covers and cleaning shoe floors, all to get rid of dirt and small weed seeds. A perforated sieve to replace the adjustable sieve provides a super clean sample. Cup elevators and beltveyor for unloading. All these make for a pretty good bean outfit.....Oh yeah, a good cab and air conditioning unless you really like coughing up mud!
HC Farmer
Posted 6/20/2013 00:50 (#3164251 - in reply to #3160752)

nc ia
Planting a upright variety, black, Zorror is the variety, Wondering if I should convert my old 7720 JD or find a 9600 or find a combine that has had the mods done to it already? I know years ago jd had 105EB, so assuming that jd did the some thing that after that model. Also had a bunch of food grade soybeans every year too. Would plan to do the dry's and food beans with same machine. Mybe even some oats. These dry's will be grown organically so there will be a few weeds. Any converted combine's for sale let me know. thanks
pat-michigan
Posted 6/20/2013 06:00 (#3164341 - in reply to #3164251)

Thumb of Michigan
We had a 105EB. Worked well for DB's, probably best bean combine we had on our farm. Converted the unloading to belt, that was very helpful. Had a spike cylinder and bucket elevator, but another advantage over newer stuff was that it had a drag chain rather than augers under the cylinder to move grain to the sieves. A 105 EB and a 105R (for rice) were very similar in the thrashing department, but all the R's I remember coming into the area had heavier drive axles and sometimes had diesels. Which was pretty rare back then. Some even had a hydro drive, I only recall one EB in my neighborhood with that option. It could be a debacle running one when doing things like topping a truck off, as there was no step in the lever between forward and reverse.

Generally speaking, a combine thats ran a lot of pulled and wind rowed beans through it will closely resemble a used rice combine. Lots of thin tin and duct tape keeping stuff in. Only place I can think of where north and south comes together equipment wise.:) Need to really look one over if looking at one.

Theres a used Gleaner with a bucket elevator and pick up head close to me for sale. I know nothing about it, its been for sale along the road for a couple of years. Pretty sure it could be bought reasonably, though.
tkoppel
Posted 6/20/2013 10:29 (#3164788 - in reply to #3164341)

Sanilac Co. Michigan
Used combines that have had any amount of dry beans through them are usually pretty tired. I'm not sure that's the best way to go. Might better find an M or L (or even F) Gleaner and do some mod's. Fairly gentle on beans as is, and pretty reasonably priced. Dry beans=dirt/gravel/stones. Bearing issues, sharp worn flighting, eroded sheet metal, and beat up cylinder bars and concaves. There, that's my two cents!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)