AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soya bean yield mystery.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Otto Ulyate
Posted 6/7/2013 09:01 (#3142538)
Subject: Soya bean yield mystery.

Southern Highlands of Tanzania, East Africa
This is a new crop in East Africa (Tanzania). We are experimenting with 10% of our acres until yields get more consistent. We grow corn mainly and some wheat-both of which a way more consistent with yield. Have a look at the below points and see what you think.
1. Yield variation of less than 2t/ha to 4.5t/ha on the monitor. What really gives me some issue is that good yields are in poor CEC soils (5-7 cec) and the good CEC soils (10-15) (give good corn and wheat crops and good residues).
2 .Calcitic lime seems to have helped and may be has meant more freely available calcium in the low CEC land. How many recommend shooting for 65-70% Calcium saturation over and above getting acidity sorted out.
3.I apply 200kg/ha of granular 10:18:24:7s and then 100kg/ha AS. I also did some bands across the field with UREA at 100kg/ha and seem to be able to see that on the monitor. I consider my general fert programmes quite generous and would not say this is low testing ground. I put this urea on late because in our experience too much N early can cause too much vegetative growth-hence v.poor yield.
4.Abm innoculant does not appear to work (planter box graphex) even at double rate. Care has been taken to put no moly on seed-could be the syngenta Apron Star? I do put moly in foilar sprays. Leaf tests at flowering show no obvious deficency-although N is on the low side.

TIA, Otto
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)