AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1770 nt down pressure (help)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 5/2/2013 14:27 (#3075914 - in reply to #3075868)
Subject: RE: 1770 nt down pressure (help) - & setup

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Your dealer and Procross post above are probably referring to the POUNDS DOWNFORCE graduations on the JD pressure gage. 

I am referring to AIR PRESSURE IN THE BAGS. 

I think we are all in the same 35 psi range. Just be clear on the pounds downforce vs psi difference when discussing the air bag system.

Air bags are a real improvement over springs in that the airbags provide more uniform down force through the working range of the parallel links than springs which are very non-uniform from top to bottom of row unit float range.

Air is NOT very quick and easy to control however, especially on larger planters.

In my opinion hydraulic control of row unit down pressure is the next step in that it can be setup to provide the more uniform down force through the range of motion AND it is quick and easy to control as you go through the field.

Lots of interesting things coming in the future but your airbags are a positive step from springs.

On row cleaners: a row cleaner does not take significant down pressure unless you have some fixed units screwed down to intentionally move some soil.

If you are planting right behind a field cultivator, you might want to speak with your dealer regarding changing to a more finger-style wheel for your row cleaners rather than a more disc-like wheel. At least try making the wheel change on one row and comparing performance of the two. Discs tend to move more soil behind a field cultivator.

Good luck this spring.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 5/2/2013 14:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)