AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone have pics of concrete piers or footings for buildings?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

BOGTROTTER
Posted 5/2/2013 13:29 (#3075826 - in reply to #3075697)
Subject: Re: Anyone have pics of concrete piers or footings for buildings?

Kingston,Mi
I may not cover everything needed, you need to have a good estimate of the bearing strength of your subsoil and the weight that each pier will support so that the footprint of the pier is large enough to distribute the load at or below the load bearing capacity. An example: your soil is in the 3000 pounds per square ft. bearing capacity and the portion of the building that each pier will support is 6000 pounds, you need to have a pier to soil contact of 2 square ft or larger to safely carry the load to ground.

When I worked as a civil engineering tech. with the N.R.C.S., a client choose a NUCOR steel building for a solid stacking facility. NUCOR provided info to a local engineer to design a footing that would distribute the weight of the building, snow load and windload to each of 10 footings (5 ribs at 25 feet apart and 100 feet from side to side), the 6 interior footings were slightly larger than the 4 corner footings. The subsoil at this location would have 3000 pounds per square ft. bearing strength, and the footings I believe were 3 ft by 3 ft., so each interior footing was potentially capable of transmitting no more that 27,000 pounds to the subsoil at that point ( likely about 75% to allow a margin of error or as the engineers state, a margin of safety).

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)