AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

mpg on little pickup trucks?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

durallymax
Posted 5/2/2013 20:09 (#3076443 - in reply to #3075673)
Subject: Re: mpg on little pickup trucks?

Wi
S10s run like tops. I'll say this though, if you have driven a 2wd with the 4.3l then you go to a 4x4 or you go to the 4 banger, you will be dissapointed. Those 2wd 4.3's would get up and go, the 4x4's with the bigger tires were noticeably sluggish as were the 4 bangers. Fuel mileage on the 4.3 is less than desireable though.

Jap trucks will get the best mileage and also run forever but many older ones rust out bad.

Does he need a truck? I used to love driving my Duramax, just hated the payments being in school. Then I started pulling it, and it turned into a puller instead of a driver. I ended up buying an older TDI Jetta with a 5spd and I have more fun in that car than I ever would've imagined. Probably not a chick magnet at his school I guess, but they will go through corn fields just fine and get 50mpg to boot. Not to mention fuel is easily available at the farm all the time for him and if you choose to bill him, it can come out pre pay if you decide thus saving him more money for "important things". They're not cheap cars though. Mine is a 2000, the MKIV models like mine with the ALH engine (99-04 IIRC) are the best model of the TDI, they are older though. However this demand makes the price high. For one with 200-300,000 miles with a TDI and 5spd in decent condition in our area brings 5-6k. Don't let the miles scare you, like any car change the timing belt every 100k and you will be fine.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)