AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Moving snow with skid steer
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

hobby95
Posted 4/15/2013 12:58 (#3037358)
Subject: Moving snow with skid steer

SW MINNESOTA
How would a large skid steer work for moving snow compared at a 590 case backhoe? I am thinking of replacing the backhoe with a smaller excavator and getting a skid loader also. The only thing I can see I might miss with the 590 is using it for snow. I clear roads for small wind farm so that's my main concern weather skid loader could handle that!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BBfarms
Posted 4/15/2013 13:03 (#3037365 - in reply to #3037358)
Subject: RE: Moving snow with skid steer

SE Michigan
Used both for snow, the skid is great for 4" and under of light snow. More then that, espically heavy - wet snow, it's hard to beat 18k of a TLB. The heated cab is also a plus..
iseedit
Posted 4/15/2013 13:03 (#3037367 - in reply to #3037358)

central - east central Minnesota -

hobby95 - 4/15/2013 12:58 How would a large skid steer work for moving snow compared at a 590 case backhoe? I am thinking of replacing the backhoe with a smaller excavator and getting a skid loader also. The only thing I can see I might miss with the 590 is using it for snow. I clear roads for small wind farm so that's my main concern weather skid loader could handle that!

Depending on snow depth or snow drift depth . . .  the skidsteer could be quicker. . . .
A adjustable blade on the skidsteer could make it quicker. A snow blower, not.
I find my skidsteer much, much quicker to get around the yard, moving snow, then my mx150/loader with wider bucket.
It really depends on your snow depth and drifting snow conditions.

hobby95
Posted 4/15/2013 13:11 (#3037383 - in reply to #3037367)
Subject: Re: Moving snow with skid steer

SW MINNESOTA
I should have mentioned I use a blower when it gets too deep or drifted! It kind of sucks clearing five miles of road in reverse though so like to use loader as much as I can!!
71jd4000s
Posted 4/15/2013 13:12 (#3037387 - in reply to #3037367)

Western WI
Skidsteer works really well for moving snow, I have one with a 2 speed, the faster you can go the easier it is. keep the snow rolling with an angle blade. Wet heavy junk is another story. I used to bucket a lot of snow before I had the blade on the skidsteer. Unless it is the wet heavy soaked through snow I haven't had to use the bucket since. I use a Bobcat S185.
seedcleaner
Posted 4/15/2013 13:16 (#3037394 - in reply to #3037358)

Mid-Missouri
Our Gehl works really good at moving snow. I had a few big opportunities this past winter to figure that out. I was clearing snow on the backtop that was 12"+ with no problem. That was with the bucket on the front scraping down to pavement, and just driving, letting the snow build and roll out both sides. It was the bluest, wettest snow seen around here.

Shameless plug for the machine now advertised...

http://agtalkplus.com/?q=node/41008
durallymax
Posted 4/15/2013 13:25 (#3037409 - in reply to #3037358)

Wi
Still have snow on the brain?

Skid steers are quicker but cannot push as much. They are more nimble as well. If you have something for big snows then they are the way to go.
hobby95
Posted 4/15/2013 13:44 (#3037435 - in reply to #3037409)

SW MINNESOTA
Unfortunately ya still have snow on brain!!! Still pushing this morning!!!
farmboy8480
Posted 4/15/2013 14:22 (#3037471 - in reply to #3037435)

North Central Iowa
We have a Case 440 with a 100" bobcat snow bucket with all 4 wheels chained up, can move lots of snow with that thing.
Duane in ND
Posted 4/15/2013 14:40 (#3037489 - in reply to #3037358)

North central North Dakota

When going a long distance pushing snow, I only have the regular bucket or snow pusher to move snow.  If I can keep moving, the snow pusher will plow snow off to the side.  I usually have to stop give it a push to one side or the other when it heavy.  Problem is then I have a pile right next to teh road which can stop more snow.  I try to use my snowblower on tractor if it gets deep.

As far as running a loader, my A300 with heater, stereo, coffee cup holder and air ride seat , is very comfortable to run.  If I had a track unit, I think a snow pusher would work nicely, never tried a blade type unit on my A300, maybe the articulated steering would work OK with blade.

When snow is heavy the John Deere 6430 can handle the snow nicely by going further in deep snow before spinning out, just is not as manuverable in tight areas. 

I run a small Bobcat 331 mini excavator, I used it for moving snow last week when I put on the 39" bucket.  Was nice to hop into that heated cab also for moving some snow. 

(IMG_1396.JPG)

(IMG_1873b.jpg)

(IMG_1702b.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1396.JPG (76KB - 664 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1873b.jpg (54KB - 668 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1702b.JPG (75KB - 644 downloads)
hobby95
Posted 4/15/2013 16:14 (#3037575 - in reply to #3037489)

SW MINNESOTA
Would tracks be better or worse in snow? Thinking both factory tracks or the ones that go over the tires.
Tim in WI
Posted 4/15/2013 16:27 (#3037594 - in reply to #3037383)

Embarrass WI
Why not get a snowplow for your pickup?
Duane in ND
Posted 4/15/2013 16:34 (#3037601 - in reply to #3037575)

North central North Dakota

I have never used any type of tracks with snow pushing.  I have been told that with light footprint on tracks, they tend to slide around on icy conditions. In dry conditions the tracks would seem to keep the loader more stable and the blade should stay in ground contact better - and again I have not experience.

For real grippy situations, a snow tire with studs would be nice,   Would scratch up concrete and asphalt so probably not best for commercial snow removal in certain situations.  From the pictures you can see two types of tires on my Bobcat.  I use the sand and turf tires in the late spring and summer and go back to regular tires in the winter for more traction.  I am looking at the idea of getting some wheel spacers and the chains for tractions.  

Wolf Paws tires
http://www.taletattachments.com/wolfpaws

Edited by Duane in ND 4/15/2013 16:37
RodInNS
Posted 4/15/2013 16:35 (#3037603 - in reply to #3037575)

Tracks would be useless for pushing snow. You need bite, not flotation. Rear wheel chains are pretty much required.
A skid can push a fair amount... and they are quite nimble... but it's not going to push what the TLB will push in deep heavy snow.

Rod
nebgrainfarmer
Posted 4/15/2013 17:33 (#3037700 - in reply to #3037603)

Skid steer works good here. Also with a snow blower on it. Never have to look back it's always in front of you. I have a Schulte 84" snow blower on the front of a 328D John Deere. I swear it will blow running water, beats a bucket for me. People in town like it because the pile is a lot smaller.
durallymax
Posted 4/15/2013 17:42 (#3037721 - in reply to #3037603)

Wi

RodInNS - 4/15/2013 15:35 Tracks would be useless for pushing snow. You need bite, not flotation. Rear wheel chains are pretty much required. A skid can push a fair amount... and they are quite nimble... but it's not going to push what the TLB will push in deep heavy snow. Rod

They make polar tracks for CTL/MTL's. The regular D lug tracks do not grab well.  The MTL/ASV undercarraiges get better grip than the steel CTL undercarraiges a well.

Tracks can be better, they will crawl the pile and stack snow even sometimes.  Just need the right setup. Their downsides are ground speed. They are slower, the CTL's are also rougher riding. 

iseedit
Posted 4/15/2013 18:10 (#3037761 - in reply to #3037721)
Subject: Re: Tracks on skidsteer ~

central - east central Minnesota -

durallymax - 4/15/2013 17:42

RodInNS - 4/15/2013 15:35 Tracks would be useless for pushing snow. You need bite, not flotation. Rear wheel chains are pretty much required. A skid can push a fair amount... and they are quite nimble... but it's not going to push what the TLB will push in deep heavy snow. Rod

They make polar tracks for CTL/MTL's. The regular D lug tracks do not grab well.  The MTL/ASV undercarraiges get better grip than the steel CTL undercarraiges a well.

Tracks can be better, they will crawl the pile and stack snow even sometimes.  Just need the right setup. Their downsides are ground speed. They are slower, the CTL's are also rougher riding. 

Agree with Durallymax -
Tracks work on snow and ice, just as well as tires . . .
On ice, I don't care what you have, it's slippery.
I've had the MLT's (ASV type on Cat 247B) and get along way better then some with tires.
Experence running a skidsteer, tracks and or wheels, makes a difference.
For the OP question of tracks or wheels - I'd go with Wheels, as Dauane's post suggest

(aCK5.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments aCK5.jpg (86KB - 695 downloads)
WI Jeff
Posted 4/15/2013 18:51 (#3037864 - in reply to #3037721)

Central WI
Our asv SR80 does awesome in the snow with a 8' Virnig snow bucket on. Build a ramp on the piles and pile as high as you want. Pushes like nothing else unless there is an ice layer under directly in contact with the tracks, get some snow between the ice and tracks and gain traction again.

Ours is a 2 speed so can plow the light stuff up to 14mph pretty easy, and the cab heater works faster than our telehandlers so the preferred is the trackloader here. Plus the telehandler is just so big to maneuver in some areas that its a pain

Have had the big bucket full of wet heavy snow to the point it could barely pick it up (like 6k lbs tip load) and still had a pile rolling out in front 10' out and 3-4' over the top of the bucket.

Edited by WI Jeff 4/15/2013 18:54
AlphaOutlaw
Posted 4/15/2013 19:06 (#3037914 - in reply to #3037864)

do a little commercial snow removal and the guy i work with runs an A300 and that thing moves alot of snow. i would say he can move more snow faster than i can with a 2wd 7810. the advantages of the tractor are faster speed and higher lift. traction has never seemed to be a problem for him either and the steerable axles make them seem to steer better than a standard skidder...
German Shepherd
Posted 4/15/2013 19:24 (#3037964 - in reply to #3037358)

Spent a good part of the day moving snow today.   Used the FWA loader tractor for some of the really deep stuff, but used the skid steer for the rest.   Snow was soft, so it pushed well, even if it was moderately deep.   I have chains on the back wheels too.

rHiNoBaLlS
Posted 4/15/2013 20:06 (#3038088 - in reply to #3037603)

WC MN
My tracked Case would argue otherwise. I can push snow 1/2 mile out in a field if I so choose. They DO suck on ice but as long as you have snow, gravel, asphalt, grass, what have you underneath it will push. I usually blade my driveway with the pickup and if it's too deep for that I use the skidloader to "punch" through the drifts so the truck can finish.
durallymax
Posted 4/15/2013 22:12 (#3038552 - in reply to #3038088)

Wi
rHiNoBaLlS - 4/15/2013 19:06

My tracked Case would argue otherwise. I can push snow 1/2 mile out in a field if I so choose. They DO suck on ice but as long as you have snow, gravel, asphalt, grass, what have you underneath it will push. I usually blade my driveway with the pickup and if it's too deep for that I use the skidloader to "punch" through the drifts so the truck can finish.

CTL metal undercarraiges will not be as good. couple them witj D lug tracks and they are terrible. The guys above have ASV/MTL systems which get better traction in sbow and often use a track that gets much better traction. They are not as heavily built when it comes to harsh conditions though like a rock quarry.
RodInNS
Posted 4/16/2013 08:55 (#3039227 - in reply to #3038088)

Well.... you must get a different brand of snow than I get... because around here, ice is the main component under snow. Period. I sometimes push snow with a dozer... and at 11 tonne it will break a certain amount of ice. If it doesn't... it's an 11 tonne curling stone going down the hill. I do not see why any skid on tracks would be any different. Even a rubber tired skid is useless here without chains.

Rod
durallymax
Posted 4/16/2013 09:39 (#3039321 - in reply to #3039227)

Wi
RodInNS - 4/16/2013 07:55

Well.... you must get a different brand of snow than I get... because around here, ice is the main component under snow. Period. I sometimes push snow with a dozer... and at 11 tonne it will break a certain amount of ice. If it doesn't... it's an 11 tonne curling stone going down the hill. I do not see why any skid on tracks would be any different. Even a rubber tired skid is useless here without chains.

Rod

durallymax
Posted 4/16/2013 09:41 (#3039323 - in reply to #3039227)

Wi
RodInNS - 4/16/2013 07:55

Rod

You cant generalize tracks just like you cant generalize tires. Just because an all season tire sucks on ice doesnt mean all tires will. There is a lot of technology that goes into snow tirrs. Same applies for tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSOvbjHWny0&feature=youtube_gdata_pl...
WI Jeff
Posted 4/16/2013 13:38 (#3039728 - in reply to #3039227)

Central WI
As I said, bare ice is slick but leave an inch of snow over it and the ASV can do some good pushing. Hell I usually leave snow on the driveway first part of winter so that it packs down to ice so I don't dig the gravel out all winter. But even on bare ice I can still plow light snow

not ice, but go to 1min mark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmoBP6FWfqk

Edited by WI Jeff 4/16/2013 13:44
ramy
Posted 4/17/2013 00:35 (#3041228 - in reply to #3037358)

SE MN, we have a JD 250. Only thing I wish it had (and will replace it when I find a nice used one) is a 2speed. We move snow with either a 9' blade or an 7 or 8'? snow bucket and of course the 72" con. bucket that came with it at times. Does a great job and with its size you just spin a 180, bump the lever and your back clearing larger areas. Chains would make things easier at times but man do I look forward to it over a pickup of tractor loader combo. Spend the money on a 2speed, you will want it far more than you thought, I do all the time, even just to run around the yard at a lower rpm faster. The 9' blade can get a bit much at times, but with chains it would push a lot faster and more.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)