AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Water absorbing device for diesel fuel tank
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

havin'funfarming
Posted 4/5/2013 15:24 (#3014958)
Subject: Water absorbing device for diesel fuel tank

Manitoba, Canada
I was at a dealership a while back and they had a display of some water absorbing device that a person could hang in the diesel tank. The sign said that it has been used extensively in the trucking industry for years. Seems like a good idea to hang one in the bulk fuel tank if it would work. Just wondering if anyone uses something like that.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MCatSHF
Posted 4/5/2013 15:56 (#3014989 - in reply to #3014958)
Subject: RE: Water absorbing device for diesel fuel tank

Sandy Hook, MB

Hello Havin'funfarming

No experience with those, but I have water absorbing filters  on my tanks.
Reason for edit: Add hyperlink.

Edited by MCatSHF 4/5/2013 15:58
pupdaddy12003
Posted 4/5/2013 17:56 (#3015120 - in reply to #3014989)
Subject: Re: Water absorbing device for diesel fuel tank

NW Central Ohio
...yeah, Goldenrod filters have a water absorbing filter...and it really works. I ran some gasoline through mine (10% ethanol)...and eventually the water it was carrying because of the alcohol stopped the nozzle flow. Best part about it was...if you took it out, and left it set where the breeze and some sunshine could get to it...the water would evaporate, and you could put it back in.
IADAVE
Posted 4/5/2013 18:48 (#3015192 - in reply to #3015120)

I used to use a product called a water dog.
worked well but the local quite carrying it. It was just a sock with water absorbent material made from corn in it.
mmwithlm
Posted 4/5/2013 18:58 (#3015208 - in reply to #3015192)

central wisconsin
I sell them also but in my personal opinion way to much money for the little bit of water they hold. I would recommend the Golden rod element with the water absorbing element. The most important thing you can do is slightly pitch your tank away from the pump and then occasionally check for moisture using a water finding paste. Its best to use pressure vented caps like a Prevent brand to keep air movement in your tank to a minimum. It might sound like your spending money for nothing but ask someone who has had an algae problem get into thier vehicle and ask obout the cost and agrivation.
havin'funfarming
Posted 4/6/2013 11:03 (#3016271 - in reply to #3015208)

Manitoba, Canada
I have no idea what type of vents are on my tanks as they came with the tanks. You got me curious and I am going to inquire about that. As far as water holding capacity wouldn't the socks be able to hold more moisture than the Goldenrod filter? Thanks everyone for the advice on filters but right now I think I like the idea of something dropped into the tank.

Edited by havin'funfarming 4/6/2013 11:06
mschultz
Posted 4/6/2013 00:54 (#3015821 - in reply to #3014958)

Oregon
Local bulk supplier provides water absorbing socks. I brazed a hook on the bottom of the caps on a fuel depot I built a few years ago. They hang the sock on the tank from the cap. Also run hydrosorb filters on the pumps, but the socks are a lot cheaper and they don't shut down the system when at full capacity. I think it is a pretty good system. -Mike

Here is an example- a different product than I am familiar with, but same idea:

http://shop.mydieseldoctor.com/Water-Eliminators_c8.htm

Here is a photo of a product similar to the one the distributor uses:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-79426685145315_2214_1429980

Probably use these more here because my state has a biodiesel blend requirement for all diesel statewide and I'm told that the biodiesel has more water issues.

Edited by mschultz 4/6/2013 01:14
havin'funfarming
Posted 4/6/2013 10:30 (#3016226 - in reply to #3015821)

Manitoba, Canada
The small ones look similar to the ones I saw displayed. The large version looks like it would be a good enough size to last a while. The device (WE-S31) is expensive but the refill (WE-B31) is relatively cheap. I would think a guy could rig up a container of his own to hold the refill. I would think a guy could drill a bunch of holes in a piece of pvc pipe and cap the ends and put the refill in it. I think I will look into something like that. The water absorbing filters are a good idea also but I think I will try this system first.
fjlip
Posted 4/6/2013 12:23 (#3016371 - in reply to #3014958)

N East Sask, Canada
Using http://www.cim-tek.com/
We use the 800 BHG hydro glass.
Also use Deere Diesel conditioner, which disperses water.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)