AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Versatile 835
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

crowbar
Posted 4/4/2013 20:44 (#3013446 - in reply to #3012717)
Subject: RE: Versatile 835

Hazelton, Kansas
Rhino,

I have an 835 that I bought new in '79. It was our workhorse here until about 2000, and the main reason I bought a later model was for air seeder hydraulics.

IMO, they are a very good tillage tractor. In our soil, an 835 in front of a 42' Fallow master was an excellent match. Unless your soil is some really tight stuff, it will play with the tools you mentioned at 1750 rpm or so. The engine has torque that you simply won't understand until you drive one.

If they have a weak point, it is the axle housings. For many years, I had heard that there were two kinds of Versatiles; those that have broken axles, and those that are going to. Mine graduated from the second category to the first at about 7000 hours. It was in a heavy, low speed pull as the lead tractor on a tile plow, and the axle housing popped on the second hop. If you keep it weighted properly and avoid power hop, it will run indefinitely.

Steering cylinders are prone to leak, and the ball ends are also a maintenance item. We also experienced the shifter issues mentioned above.

If it is in decent condition, $20k would give you tremendous bang for the buck, IMO.

FWIW.

MDS

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)