AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 9550 combine has battery drain somewhere
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Tommy
Posted 4/4/2013 07:10 (#3012067 - in reply to #3011746)
Subject: RE: JD 9550 combine has battery drain somewhere

Iowa
A draw is not a short to ground--that would be a DEAD SHORT and you'd have more troubles...

Anyway, have everything shut off. Start removing one wire at a time from the terminals back there, and then touch the removed wire back to it's terminal and look for a slight spark. When you find the wire that gives you the slight spark, that wire goes to the circuit with the draw. Then trace that wire and look for the problem.

Do you have an aftermarket am/fm radio? I've had several "draws" over the years and most were the aftermarket radio.

On something w as limited use as a combine, you can just put a HD racecar-type switch on the ground cable and just shut it off when not in use. I've done that on two combines over the years and both had draws so slight that in-season they would start for several days before the draw pulled the batteries down so I didn't have to craw up and shut the added switch off each night if I didn't want to or forgot. It's also a pretty good theft/joy ride deterrent if you switch it off when leaving the combine in the field overnight.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)