AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Harvestore silo
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

roo
Posted 3/18/2013 21:40 (#2974922)
Subject: New Harvestore silo

Cullom, Illinois
Has anyone put up a new or rebuilt Harvestore in the last year? I've got some questions and would like to talk to someone about the process and their actual costs.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
German Shepherd
Posted 3/18/2013 21:45 (#2974940 - in reply to #2974922)
Subject: RE: New Harvestore silo

My question would be "Why"?   Lots of money involved setting one up.   I've always believed they were called "Blue Tombstones" for a reason.   Many a good farm got killed off by them.     We always packed silage on the ground and it sure was good enough for my cows.

roo
Posted 3/18/2013 22:06 (#2974998 - in reply to #2974940)

Cullom, Illinois
Here's why... I can buy a handful of blue silos in my area for next to nothing, unloaders and all. They just need taken down and moved. Jacks to do it are around $12,000, which I could sell when I'm done. Local Harvestore dealer wants to charge me $75,000 to erect a used 20 x 60 silo, less concrete. I cannot believe that a rebuild kit, bags, etc. costs that much. Labor is listed as $25,000. So $50,000 for a rebuild kit??? Seems like a lot of money. Just trying to figure this out. Posted questions like this before. Never seems to get much of a response. Is there a Harvestore mafia that keeps everything secret? If I could find someone to show me how to build them, I'd do it myself. It just sheets and bolts. Giant erector set. Took a ride one Sunday afternoon and counted over 40 Harvestores less than 50 miles away that are just sitting. Local junk man charges to tear them down. Maybe you don't even need a rebuild kit. Just use the old parts. Who's got answers for me? Leave me your email. We can talk in private.
lawfarms
Posted 3/18/2013 22:15 (#2975025 - in reply to #2974998)

King City, Mo
There's two in my small town.... Both went broke after putting them up.....

One still has spoiled silage I it I'm told....

Iif there are that many around you and nobody is using them that's prob a sign.....I like to think outside the box but a anything that has the nickname across the country as "blue tombstone" is something I'd stay away from.
cressler
Posted 3/18/2013 22:17 (#2975031 - in reply to #2974998)
Subject: Re: New Harvestore silo

Plattsville, Ontario
Could set them back up and use top unloaders. I don't think there's any "kit" for that. If you use a blower unloader, you'll need a chute. If a center dump! Then just doors on the side
Big Ben
Posted 3/18/2013 22:43 (#2975098 - in reply to #2974998)

Columbia Basin, Ephrata, WA
You can buy a lot of silage bags for $50,000.

There are a handfull of the blue tombstones in this area. I don't think a single one of them has been used in about 20 years. I would guess that they'd all also be available for next to nothing.

Edited by Ben in the Basin 3/18/2013 22:44
CanadianCowMan
Posted 3/18/2013 23:02 (#2975140 - in reply to #2974998)

Chilliwack BC Canada
You can build a big pad with a wall for 50,000
aray63
Posted 3/19/2013 10:00 (#2975710 - in reply to #2974998)

barry county mi
ROO IN 1971 WE HAD ONE TOUR DOWN AND PUT UP FOUNDATION AND ALL INCLUDING THE 20 BY 60 BLUE TOP WITH THE GEE CANT REMEMBER BELIEVE 13 A UNLOADER WORKED GOOD ENOUGH DONT KNOW IF ID DO THAT AGAIN i STILL REMEMBER PUTTING LONG CUT OATS WHICH BY THE WAY IS A NO NO IN AND 3 OF US WORKING ON THAT DIGOUT TOOL FOR DAYS, NOT A FUN PROJECT USED THE SILO FOR GROUND EAR CORN HIGH MOISTURE IT WAS ALLRIGHT FOR THAT HIGH COST INVOLVED WE USE THE BOLTS THAT CAME OUT CLEANED UP ABIT NEW CALKING FORGET IF NEW BREATHER BAGS OR NOT GOODLUCK.ARCHIE
Posted 3/18/2013 22:28 (#2975057 - in reply to #2974922)

west central Iowa
There was an article in Farm Show magazine years ago about a guy in South Dakota I think it was, that could move them all in one piece. This was probably at least 20 years ago I think he charged around $10,000. The last time I had breather bags put in, it was about $2500. I supoose thay put in all new bolts, but you wouldn't think they would cost $40,000. One thing they might be figuring is a new roof, the white roof ones didn't have glass on the inside and would rust out, the older blue top were glass on the inside and should last forever.

I think the 20x60 here cost $12,000 put up with unloader in 1967.

I sure wouldn't call them blue tombstones and my Dad's records showed they weren't. His cost of gain was $5/cwt less than anybody in the farm business association he belonged to. Our silos paid for themselves many time over and are still in use. I put corn silage ina pit this year and hate digging it out of the mud and seeing all the waste.
E718
Posted 3/19/2013 08:25 (#2975544 - in reply to #2975057)

Sac & Story county IA
I saw that trailer sitting at Audobon IA probably about that time frame. Probably still around somewhere.
pegleg pete
Posted 3/18/2013 22:29 (#2975059 - in reply to #2974922)

thorp wi.
there is an outfit called greenwood silo who takes down an builds used harvesstores. they use aftermarket parts and make some of there own parts . dont know where you are from but could get the phone number for ya . they are in greenwood wi.
LNS8310
Posted 3/18/2013 22:31 (#2975065 - in reply to #2974922)

N.C. Iowa

I Googled harvestore silo moving and came up with these links to the Machinery Talk section.  Hope this helps.

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=336582&mid=2635501#M2635501

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=144741&mid=1028466#M1028466

dt4020
Posted 3/18/2013 22:38 (#2975084 - in reply to #2975065)

Fairbury, NE (Southeast)
"Here's why... I can buy a handful of blue silos in my area for next to nothing"

Why do you think that is? They say the best things in life are free. This would be the exception.

You can spend 10g and have a nice cement slab to put silage on. Pack and pack some more put plastic on and you will have little waste.

Then you will only have a tractor feed and wagon to break down instead of a unloader/conveyor/feed belt/multiple motors...did I mention the unloader. Every time the harvestore guys pull into the yard to work on it it will be a 4 figure expense.

Edited by dt4020 3/18/2013 22:46
7720gas
Posted 3/18/2013 23:00 (#2975138 - in reply to #2975084)

Yikes,   Did they not use sealent  joining the panels togather ?  That would be a boat load of mastic tape or what ever they used!

Is there not some one in Ia that lays down Stave silos and moves them , sets them back up ?

Kal Drogo
Posted 3/18/2013 23:23 (#2975184 - in reply to #2974922)

Around here they are refered to as "Monuments to a broke farmer".
Posted 3/19/2013 03:29 (#2975267 - in reply to #2974922)

west central Iowa
I don't see why people seem to take so much delight in bashing Harvestores. Maybe some of you have used one and had bad luck and know what you are talking about. But I don't think every one on here running them down has used one and I don't think every farm that had one went broke, I know we didn't. A banker on a tour of our place told my Dad they wouldn't pay and Dad said how the heck would you know you've never used one. Our original 20x60 cost $12000 with the unloader in 1967. The second unloader cost $10000 and the third one cost $4000. The epoxy floor and a couple of sets of breather bags cost about $5000. Other small items over the years added up to about $3000. Total cost $34000 for storing and unloading at least 400 ton a year puts it at a little over $2/ton with virtually no spoilage. And the silo and unloader should be good for many years yet. How much do you spend for a bag and a bagger and concrete to put it on? And most years there was a lot more than 400 ton put through because it was top fill and bottom unload so you could keep filling and feeding with out changing feed. The thing that probably caused the most problems was Harvestore telling people to put in feed too wet. After the first year we figured that out and did it different. If you cure the alfalfa out chop at night and early morning with a dew on it you get way better feed and a lot less work for the unloader.
roo
Posted 3/19/2013 04:11 (#2975271 - in reply to #2975267)

Cullom, Illinois
You guys are totally missing my point. I do not and will not spend big $$$$ to put up a Harvestore. But if I could do it myself, get the tank for next to nothing, wouldn't that make sense? Somebody tell me what a rebuild kit costs...please. Thats all I'm asking. Again, I can't believe a rebuild kit consisting of new bolts, a ladder, Trough system, breather bags, center fill kit, new pipe, and epoxy floor costs $50,000. If there is someone out there that has put up one in the last five years, please get a hold of me. I just want to know what your costs were.

For you guys that want to bash Harvestore's, please start another post. Thanks.
forager
Posted 3/19/2013 04:52 (#2975281 - in reply to #2975271)

Ashland County Ohio
Call Better Bilt Storage from Sugarcreek, Ohio They have been dealing in used Harvestores for years.
garvo
Posted 3/19/2013 05:05 (#2975284 - in reply to #2975271)

western iowa,by Denison
not bashing harvestore roo,but lets put it into reality-if I remember right you farm 3000 acres by yourself,now I know you are a guy that gets things done,because I can in no way farm 2,000 acres by myself-if you desire to get things done in minutes a day-put up a 16ft bunker-you already have the unloader-because you are loading your feedwagon,you will spend a lot of money on your cheap harvestore-you need to climb up a silo once a day,to see if you want one,have a stupid unloader break down with the arm stuck,have a blower pipe plug ,The really bad part about a Harvestore is the condesation on the panels,inside-I went to a top unloader on my havestore and I still have that problem,not on the stave silos-and there is no better feed then what comes out of a stave-but having said that-I seen some silage yesterday that was in a 16ft deep pit that was excellant-and a silo gets full-a pit can be over filled-your sealer kit cost about $4000,
I say go for it,you should just put one up,you would soon know the cost-you will spend a miniumum of $20,000 with your rebuild kit and concrete-if you supply free labor-do you have a silo that you have ever filled?blower,wagons,a son that will keep the silo in good workin condtion?

Your idea makes no sense-That being said-You can have my 20x60 for free-I will help you take it down and load it for you-it is in my way where I want to put my 16ft wall silage panels
Rebuild kit cost $20,000-you can order all the same stuff for around $12,000 as I had done all the research when I put in my top unloader
Posted 3/19/2013 11:28 (#2975865 - in reply to #2975284)

west central Iowa
garvo - 3/19/2013 05:05

not bashing harvestore roo,but lets put it into reality-if I remember right you farm 3000 acres by yourself,now I know you are a guy that gets things done,because I can in no way farm 2,000 acres by myself-if you desire to get things done in minutes a day-put up a 16ft bunker-you already have the unloader-because you are loading your feedwagon,you will spend a lot of money on your cheap harvestore-you need to climb up a silo once a day,to see if you want one,have a stupid unloader break down with the arm stuck,have a blower pipe plug ,The really bad part about a Harvestore is the condesation on the panels,inside-I went to a top unloader on my havestore and I still have that problem,not on the stave silos-and there is no better feed then what comes out of a stave-but having said that-I seen some silage yesterday that was in a 16ft deep pit that was excellant-and a silo gets full-a pit can be over filled-your sealer kit cost about $4000,
I say go for it,you should just put one up,you would soon know the cost-you will spend a miniumum of $20,000 with your rebuild kit and concrete-if you supply free labor-do you have a silo that you have ever filled?blower,wagons,a son that will keep the silo in good workin condtion?

Your idea makes no sense-That being said-You can have my 20x60 for free-I will help you take it down and load it for you-it is in my way where I want to put my 16ft wall silage panels
Rebuild kit cost $20,000-you can order all the same stuff for around $12,000 as I had done all the research when I put in my top unloader

I guess I'm stupid, but I really don't understand the problem with condensation, how do you even know it is there and why is it a problem. I've been around them 45 years and have never heard of this. The few times we have emptied the silo the feed coming out was pretty much good to the last drop.
As for feeding time when I am filling the feeder wagon I park it under the elevator and let it run while I load the other stuff with the loader so it probably speeds things up for me.
Since we started putting the feed in drier we have never had an arm stuck or a broken chain.
I have never been around a stave, but why would the feed out of a stave be any better than a harvestore. I would guess a stave could have a plugged blower pipe too. A while back there was a picture on agtalk of a stave with water running down the outside from putting silage in too wet. If the water is running out the air has to be getting in and that doesn't lead to good silage. And with the top unload you can't keep feeding while you are filling like I do all the time.
I have a 16ft deep pit I put silage in for the first time in years this year, and unfortunately it isn't concrete and I expected the spoilage on the top, but I had forgotten about all the poorer silage on the sides, I suppose it is from the dry dirt sucking moisture out of the silage.
I probably wouldn't put up another harvestore for what they cost now, but I like the 3 I have and I wouldn't even think about switching to top unload.
Browtrucking
Posted 3/19/2013 05:38 (#2975304 - in reply to #2974922)

halfway between Lapeer and Port Huron, MI
I see what your wanting to do but, I don't think it's that simple they're not like a grain bin. Everything about putting it back up would have to be just right, all the sheets would have to be marked coming down, cleaned of the sealer (try peeling that stuff off), usually the roofs are shot, the trough is probably bad, and if it sat for any time with the unloader in it the chains are probably rusted up. I worked for a guy that had 3 of them 2 20x60s and 1 20x35 corn unit. They worked great for him small dairy (50 cows in tie stalls) he kept them up really good but he spent between $2500 and $5,000 a year doing so, hardly any thing about working on them was a one man job. I wouldn't mind having one for HMSC but I wouldn't want one for silage just my opinion good luck!
roo
Posted 3/19/2013 07:01 (#2975396 - in reply to #2975304)

Cullom, Illinois
So no one has any idea what a rebuild kit actully costs?
swmnhay
Posted 3/19/2013 07:17 (#2975422 - in reply to #2975396)

Reading Mn
Try Blue Hilltop,Lake Wilson,Mn.They do my unloader repairs.They have aftrmarket harvestor parts for unloaders.

http://www.bluehilltop.com/
Jay NE Ohio
Posted 3/19/2013 07:28 (#2975437 - in reply to #2975396)

northeastern Ohio

roo - 3/19/2013 07:01 So no one has any idea what a rebuild kit actully costs?

Roo,
I am currently running 5 Harvestores and do not recommend to anyone.  It's been about 15 years since I had one built, so I can only guess on current prices.  We had the "traveling bus crew" build a couple Harvestores for us back in the 90's.  They reused the old bolts, fabricated the trough on site, and reused everything they possibly could.  Cost was about $10k for labor and parts.  This did NOT include concrete or rebuilding the unloader.

The other extreme is to hire a "genuine Harvestore" dealer.  They use all new bolts, new air bags, new roof, new fill pipe, new gooseneck, factory made trough, new door frame, new unloader, ect....  The price is extreme.

Here is the honest truth:  Almost all of the white roof Harvestores out there will need a new roof.   Uninstalled cost is about $8000.  The blue roof Harvestores might still be good, as long as they were installed with the roof panel on the inside of the top ring.  If installed on the outside like most of the whites, they might be rusted through too.  Airbags are about $800 each (two required).

You can fabricate your own trough, but you'll need to buy the floor plates that go over the trough.  $100 each (takes 6).

Bolts:  you could do like the bus crew and run the old ones in a cement mixer with gasoline to remove the tar.  I'm guessing new set would be in the $1000-$2000 range (maybe more, I'm not sure).

Sealant:  it takes a lot, but I can't remember how much.  Probably 100 tubes at $10/tube = $1000

Door frames rust out, but can be repaired.

Gooseneck and fill pipe is about $1400

Epoxy floor is about $1200 (aftermarket).

Aftermarket parts to rebuild the unloader are about $6-8000 if you do the labor yourself.

I think it will take about 30 yards of concrete:  $3000.

I'm sure that I am forgetting something.  It does take a crew of 4 guys to put one up and takes about a month.  4 guys x 40 hours per week x 4 weeks x $20/hour = $12k???

Edited by Jay NE Ohio 3/19/2013 07:32
roo
Posted 3/19/2013 13:29 (#2976075 - in reply to #2975437)

Cullom, Illinois
Thanks for the info Jay. Looks like if I use your prices the build price would be around $35,000 less concrete. That is much more resaonable than the price they are quoting me. My thought was to unload the silo into a commodity shed and use the payloader to fill the feed wagon. Could run the unloader slow on a timer so as to lessen wear and mechanical trouble. Just finding it very difficult to get any information on them, other than the bashers and flamers. Thanks again.
Tim in WI
Posted 3/19/2013 13:48 (#2976106 - in reply to #2976075)

Embarrass WI

If you decide to go ahead with this(which I think would end up to be a mistake)be aware that the sheets are not all the same. They come in different thicknesses, thicker sheets on the bottom and thinner as you go up. So, if you take one down, mark the sheets so they can go back in the proper position.

I will pile on and tell you once more what you don't want to hear--it's not worth the trouble. Also around 'here' there are plenty of them that are in place, bought and paid for, not being used -on a still operating farm. 

There are also a few guys still having them built. Not many, but it does happen. 

Jay NE Ohio
Posted 3/19/2013 16:05 (#2976305 - in reply to #2976075)

northeastern Ohio

roo - 3/19/2013 13:29 Thanks for the info Jay. Looks like if I use your prices the build price would be around $35,000 less concrete. That is much more resaonable than the price they are quoting me. My thought was to unload the silo into a commodity shed and use the payloader to fill the feed wagon. Could run the unloader slow on a timer so as to lessen wear and mechanical trouble. Just finding it very difficult to get any information on them, other than the bashers and flamers. Thanks again.

I think the prices are close, but I can't guarantee.  The only price that I really question is the bolts (I may be way low on those).  I found a build quote from my "Authorized Harverstore" dealer  from 1999:  used 25x90 with new roof, bolts, build kit, new gooseneck/pipe, and a completely rebuilt unloader for total installed price of $65k (only thing I needed to supply was concrete).  Or a used 20x90 with the same as the other for $55k.

If you are serious about this, then here are a couple hints to help you pick the right silo:  

The most common size is 20'.  Stay away from the 25'.  17' is ok, but parts like the roof and backbone are harder to find (special order). 

They made a light duty and a heavy duty structure.  You can tell the difference by looking at the vertical stiffeners at the bottom.  HD stiffeners are about 10' where the light duty are 4'.  The heavy duty sheets have twice as many bolt holes as the light duty sheets.  The heavy sheets are also much thicker.  This is important if you ever decide to put high moisture corn as there can be more stress due to uneven unloading.

The blue roofs are older but were superior to the whites.  They used cheaper/thinner steel in the white roof and quality control resulted in more glass issues.  They also put the white roof on the outside of the top ring, which resulted in condensation of acid accumulating on top of the top ring (rusting both the ring and the roof).  The newest white roofs (1990's to present) are white on top and blue underneath and they went back to putting them on the inside of the ring.  

Check for bullet holes.  Check for damage to bottom sheets from cutter chains digging into them.  Check for pealing glass. 

JoshuaGA
Posted 3/19/2013 19:37 (#2976677 - in reply to #2976075)

Sumner GA, Located in southwest GA,
Don't take this the wrong way, you have heard everything there is to say in this thread, but for what you are proposing, I wouldn't even think of anything but a bunker. You are already running the loader, you want to unload into a commodity barn and then reload, you are going to risk spoiling your silage from having it sit and heat in the pile or unload too much or not enough at one time unless you are real good with a stopwatch. $35000 plus concrete costs will pour a heck of a pad, heck you change your mind at least you can build a shed over it, it will be faster to load even if you have to hire someone to pack for you, faster to unload, and less expense if you arent religious about maintenance.

FWIW I would love to have a few Harvestore silos, but the numbers will not justify it, I have tried, I cant do it short of hitting the lottery. Best of luck whichever way you go.
blue72
Posted 3/19/2013 07:20 (#2975425 - in reply to #2974922)

They are not cheap, but give you an idea of cost. They travel all around the midwest.
Nebraska Harvestore 800-627-9902
Yes we used ours for 35 years, and kept it up until roof and unloader both needed replaced.
Still use the belt feeder with roof, but use a mixer.
4JFarms
Posted 3/19/2013 08:17 (#2975533 - in reply to #2975425)

We have 2 for HMC, works better than bags and bunker for dm loss.
steincowboy
Posted 3/19/2013 09:42 (#2975676 - in reply to #2974922)

God's Country (N.C. Ia)
I say give her hell! I'd use the old bolts (they're half inch if I'm not mistaken). Personally, I'd never do it myself, unless it was for hmc or earlage. Even with hmc, I'd want the forage unloader. If you can teach yourself to do all of the maintenance on the unloader, it will save you a lot of money down the road. Whatever you do, do not put up a 25 foot one. Stick with the 20 footers or less. A lot less wear and tear on the unloaders with the smaller ones from what I've heard.

On second thought, I stll wouldn't ever do it myself, but if you're bound and determined, I thought I'd give you my .02 if I did. Like you, we do all of our work ourselves on our farm. Nice to see a guy looking outside the box and finding some opportunity where others fear to tread.
Milford
Posted 3/19/2013 13:25 (#2976070 - in reply to #2974922)

Essig MN
been using one since 1980, when should i expect to be broke?
mikado
Posted 3/19/2013 14:55 (#2976209 - in reply to #2976070)

SW WI
I want to be with Roo on this one. It drives me crazy to see all the unused ones sitting withing an hour of me. I would love to have something about 10k bushels to feed my steers. Looked at some a few yrs ago at that capacity was around $50k, I told the salesman for $5/bu of storage capacity vs. $2-3/ bu on a grain bin, what do you think is going to get built. I would like to feed the HMC vs. dry grinded corn. Just can't justify it. If you could just airlift some of these smaller ones from a farm to mine, I would take it with a leaky roof and old sweep arm unloader. Don't know if its the labor that jacks the price, cause I could find several for scrap or lower price.
Yoosta B
Posted 3/19/2013 19:26 (#2976655 - in reply to #2974922)

<p>One aspect of this that hasn't been mentioned is the erection process (hope that word doesn't get this thread poofed). You may have put up a grain bin before, but do not let yourself think it's the same. Everything is much heavier (hope you have a good back- that bag of bolts 'round your waist will get really heavy), and the whole thing gets top-heavy pretty fast. I worked on a Harvestore erection crew briefly more than 30 years ago when I was between jobs. Was working inside one day when it got windy and we had to set 'er down. Looking up and seeing the top slowly swirling around was not a pleasant experience. Couldn't get out of there fast enough! There is also some finishing work that has to be done up-top at the end, and I don't mean top center. Hope vertigo isn't a problem for you (or the guy you elect to go up there). There's a reason labor for that kinda work isn't cheap.</p>

Edited by Yoosta B 3/19/2013 19:27
redoak
Posted 3/19/2013 19:39 (#2976687 - in reply to #2974922)

sw ontario
Ours took less than a week for cement pour and erection.....last quote for "erection only with new bolts and bags and cement was $ 25k...........FWIW our HMC units where erected in '75 and '78 and last fall we changed bags,fill pipes and had re-seal....total repairs for both over 38 yrs. totaled maybe $10k ............. and have put way over million bu. through them///// for HMC we put corn in at 18-22% rather than 25-28% at starting...have put in as high as 36%......at 20% it flows like dry grain with no dust..........wish we had a 25 x80 to go with them
Farmerjay
Posted 3/19/2013 21:25 (#2977075 - in reply to #2974922)

East central Wisconsin
We still use 4 of them, 3- 20x80 s and a 20x40. we use two for haylage , one for corn silage and one for hmc. yes sometimes the maintainence gets a bit pricy but i have no desire to deal with plastic or mud . the feed quality is exceptional. if you decide to put some in, you climb up and open it, hook up the blower and bam 10 minutes and you are rockin! 5 acres or 50, when done, close it. no pack no plastic. I know it is not super fast feeding but works well for us on a small scale. I do it more for fun than money. thats my take. I may put up another one some day just to get people talking!!!! they have their nitche.... and on the broke thing, most units in our area from 1978 to 1985 were 80 grand a pop. thats were the toombstone thing came from. if you financed them babies in that time frame it put alot of hurt on ya. but they were still awesome. grew up with them and loved them. as a side note , had many stave top unloaders as well, hated climbing up the chutes, full of dust and crap in your eyes lots of nastiness. there are 7 staves that could be used but all stand empty. Garvo made one good point about a stave though, corn silage put up in a stave and fed out fast enough can be first class as well with 0 waste. Final note, best guy i ever met for harvestore stuff comes out of Kaukana Wi. Brain @ valleyview unloader service. should be able to google it. He handles everything harvestore like a BOSS!
JoshuaGA
Posted 3/19/2013 22:01 (#2977216 - in reply to #2977075)

Sumner GA, Located in southwest GA,
Two set of Harvestores around here, old feedlot down the road had one, they went broke, never really heard the story, 20'x70' full of corn silage, that thing is still juicing was way to we, not a bit of that unloader left, other one was 20'x30' for HMSC but it is empty. Neighbor has a set nearly identical except the forage silo is 20'x60' fed steers out of it till the market went away. He loved his silos but they were taken care of too. I still think they are the best way to hold feed for a smaller herd, if they are maintained right and put good dry feed in, just unfortuantly cant see where you can justify building or rebuilding a used one anymore, real close to a 15 year payout by my numbers, not to mention tying up equity. Should be noted that unless Harvestore signs off on it as a remanufactured silo, it will not be eligible for a FSA storage loan.
Illini Fan
Posted 3/19/2013 22:40 (#2977367 - in reply to #2974922)

Greene County, Illinois
<p>Back in 1992, in Farm Show magazine, there was a story about a Walter Grotte from Finlay, ND that designed a semi that backed up to a Harvestore, raised the bed hydraulically, strapped the harvestore to it, then lowered it back down flat and hauled it down the road at 40 mph. Don't know if they are still in business, but it has to be a lot cheaper and easier than what you're talking about.</p><p>http://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?submit_search=1&searchby_key=silo%20moving&searchby_volume=&searchby_issue=&searchby_page=&searchby_category=&searchby_subcategory=&searchby_manuf=&searchby_name=&searchby_city=&searchby_state=&searchby_zip=&searchby_country=&page=&aid=1636</p>

Edited by Illini Fan 3/19/2013 22:41
Big Pig
Posted 3/19/2013 23:18 (#2977440 - in reply to #2974922)

West central IL
Darn, I guess we should be broke two or three times by listening to some of ya. Ours where put up in the late 60's and still using them today. My dad tells the story that on the same acres after they build the first one they could feed twice as many cattle, we have 5 to feed cattle and 3 that we feed hogs out of. They are not cheap these days to work on, but it is nice to go push a few buttons instead of starting a tractor or two when its colder than heck out. I've seen a lot of guys go broke with green equipment, better not have any of that stuff around!
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)