AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

SSTT (sideways snake train tractor) new idea possibly?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 3/16/2013 12:12 (#2969098 - in reply to #2968900)
Subject: Re: A limit on subdivision

A limit on subdivision is finding small independent power sources more economical to purchase, fuel, and to operate than one big central power unit and the associated power distribution, whether, shaft, hydraulic or electric. I seem to have found that there is a basic limit to the number of internal combustion engines one man can keep running. That owning more just means more not working for me.

Otherwise, the SSTT may have some applications and the one row at a time units may have some applications, and something in between (as in 1950s scale machinery) may also have applications, that there is more than one way to accomplish powered field work and the most efficient may depend on the size of the operation and the definition of efficiency. Is it time efficiency, investment efficiency, reduced number of operators, or fuel efficiency? All these are affected by the types and numbers of field operations. Pure notill vs strip till vs conventional till, more dirt stirring vs more spraying and then there's harvest, each operation requiring different equipment and scale working differently for each operation. Is it affordable to own equipment so specialized that its only run 1 week a year even though it improves some efficiency? Or is it better to have adaptable equipment? Considerations that will never be solved, I think.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)