AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Stocking new shop... tools and equipment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

durallymax
Posted 3/10/2013 00:07 (#2954249 - in reply to #2953632)
Subject: RE: Stocking new shop... tools and equipment

Wi

johnypop - 3/9/2013 18:2

I agree, never could figure out why anybody would want to spend big money from Snappy to have a box sit in the corner. A road box, now that is someplace where you want a Mac or Snappy. Buy a cheaper box from Napa or Menards and have more money to fill it. Must be something about that Snap-on name. 

That is why you do not understand it.  You buy the more expensive boxes so that you can roll them around and use them all day everyday. For the person who isn't working out of it at least half of the day, it does you no good.  

Your logic is really the opposite. When it comes to road boxes many go the cheap route because of the environment.

The name attracts some people, but until you own one and use it professionally, you won't see the value.  A cheaper box does not hold the amount of tools, or work as well in a shop environment. Most cheaper boxes have detents for drawer locks. These are a PITA and do not hold up for long.  Many cheaper boxes drawers do not slide with the flick of a finger. There is also the "oil can" effect. How ridgid the bottom of the drawer is.

I do not believe in buying strictly for the name, and cannot ever bring myself to buying a new box. There are plenty of used ones out there and $4,000 for a slightly used Snap-On KRL or Matco 6s box is a good deal. 

There are plenty of Snap On fanboys and Snap On knows it. Their prices may be outrageous, but you will find from a number of people that they do make a very good toolbox. It may not be worth the price to many, but it is well built.

The Masterforce gets a lot of good reviews as well and would work for most farmers. However I will compare some of the features so you can get an idea of why people are willing to pay more money for a better box.

Masterforce 72" 15 Drawer Tool Cart

Price new: $2,000 
Dimensions: 75x46x26 are the shipping dimensions, actual size is slightly smaller. They list drawer dimensions which list an internal depth of 20 7/8".
Weight: 640lbs is the shipping weight. Actual weight would be slightly lower.
Storage Capacity: 33,652 cu. in.
Weight Capacity: 2,600lbs
Drawer Slide Capacity: 50lbs
Casters: 6x2 Poly. 2 Rigid, 4 Swivel
Drawer Latch: Raise and Release
COO: China
Warranty: Limeted Lifetime. Non-Transferrable. Parts not warrentied in industrial/commercial setting. Must have reciept and call toll free number to deal with warranty. They also state they only cover defective parts. I wonder if they will just cover simply worn out parts or not.

Snap-On KRL1023 72" 22 Drawer Roll Cab

Price new: $10,800
Dimensions: 72 7/8"x45 7/8"x29 1/8". Actual dimensions. Internal Drawer Dimension 27" deep.
Weight: 1,006lbs
Storage Capacity: 44,260 cu. in.
Weight Capacity: 6,800lbs
Slide Capacity: 227lb
Casters: 4 Swivel 6x2 IsoRide
Drawer Latch: Lock N Roll 
COO: USA
Warranty: Lifetime. Transferrable. Covered under all conditions.  Warranty process is pain free. Call Snap-On rep, he/she comes out, looks at it, gets the new part for you, generally installs it for you and you are on your way. The warranty covers normal wear and tear. If a slide wears out, even if it is in a dirty body shop environment or something, they will still cover it.

The advantages above are not saying the Masterforce is no good. You said you couldn't understand why people would buy big name boxes, so I tried to lay it out for you.  Again, none of the specs above will even mean anything to you unless you work with the boxes in a fast paced shop environment. 100lb maximum drawer capacity really scares me away from a box like that. It doesn't take long to hit that in the bigger drawers.  Many people don't realize, a big chuck of the price you pay for trucks brands is the service.  They come to you and have replacements on the truck. You hand them the broken tool, you get a new one. On rebuildable tools, they rebuild them on the truck. For air and power tools they get sent out. They also have enough financial risk as well. The tool truck is one of the few places that will still let you pay them back every week with no interest. Bigger ticket items get financed, but the revolving account helps many people get started. I personally haven't had one but know many people it has helped, and equally as many it has hurt.

This is kind of another one of those situations where you cannot judge it by looking at a picture of it, and you can't knock it till you've tried. Even then many people will still not see the value in the box. That is fine. Part of it is still a personal passion/preference. Just like many people were stubborn to spend the money on a tractor with a cab and A/C. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)