AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

10 speed direct drive & 2.85 rears on semi
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Someday
Posted 3/9/2013 22:07 (#2954056 - in reply to #2952855)
Subject: RE: 10 speed direct drive & 2.85 rears on semi

rear end ratios are a non issue for starting out a load in the field. Was always told that too and there is nothing to it. I'd never get 4:11 or 3:70 as they scream down the road. We have one truck on the road commercially and as much as I hate to admit it or say it we should have got something with a Detroit for the mileage. Personally I'd want a 13 speed to split it on shorter hauls. 10 speed is really a highway setup - around the farm it is always too high a gear or too low. If I really had my pick I'd get 18 speed with 2:65something and run in 16th. which is direct and run in that 60 -62 mph. range. You would have your splits and still be able to run in direct. You won't believe the fuel savings slowing to 60 mph. For us on 120,000 miles a year that is keeping $6000 for us.

That ISX is a good engine but the EGR valve will go out often. Search the net and there are outifts that can trick it and bypass it. It is a valve that opens and closes to keep exhaust gases in longer to burn up before being exhausted. Cats don't have that valve but just burn a little more fuel. The Detroit is what you want but unfortunatley mostly found in Freightshakers which to me is the Belarus of trucks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)